Author Topic: new lock  (Read 2149 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

new lock
« on: December 25, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
I got a new L&R Manton lock for Christmas. I built one of these from some old parts and fell in love with it's speed and performance on the little .45  I built for my Dad. My new locks internals look good but the top jaw threads in the cock seem to be about 1/2 stripped out and very loose. The top jaw will turn half way round and I doubt if it would hold a flint very long. I tried to send them an email on their site but it said the site was too busy?
I'll try calling tomorrow I guess.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: new lock
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
Hey David,
    With all production locks, there are occasional milling and drilling slip ups.  I've had an occasional lock that the back of the top jaw was ground too far and allowed the jaw to slip side to side as well.  Give them a call and explain the issue, they'll likely replace it for you.  Merry Christmas,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

jamesthomas

Re: new lock
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:47 AM »
 L&R is a very good company, You should have no problems from them sending you a new top screw. I have their Bailes lock and tat sucker is FAST and every thing works vey nice. I like the thick bolster on it so the lock screw has some meat to latch on to since I will only have the one lock screw on it.