Author Topic: First Powderhorn  (Read 5457 times)

Rkymtn57

First Powderhorn
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

Finally finished my powder horn in remembrance of my great grandfather.
It reads...Thomas Dickerson his horne. Saratoga 1777 8th. Pa. Reg. Morgans rifles.
Constructive criticism would be welcome.
Opinions on additional shading of every other triangle would be nice.
Im not a good freehand artist so these are some of my favorite images of original horns. D

Rkymtn57

Re: First Powderhorn
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:27:05 AM »
I could also use ideas on a strap , besides tanned leather and  inkle woven, ive also been tossing around the idea of rawhide as he was living on the frontier along the Monongahela River near Redstone , Pa.
Any ideas ?

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
First horn or the tenth, that is a fine horn! Don't be critical of your art. You managed to include some well known elements from different horns and still made them look as if they came from the same hand (as opposed to a collection of disparate elements that don't go together). You did very well.

I like the idea of shading the triangles, but remember the enemy of good is better.
I probably would have opted for a flat base instead of the rounded one. I think a flat base looks more authentic on a lobed horn. In the future I would save such a large horn for a F&I horn project as opposed to a Rev War horn.

Super job!
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:19:32 AM »
That is your first?  :o

Very, very impressive. The only criticism I can think of is that the lines on the octagonal sections don't quite flow smoothly through the ring area - there is a bit of an angle there. That is sometimes a pretty difficult thing to get right, though, depending on the horn.

As for a rawhide strap, I doubt it would work - while you could break it down enough that it would be flexible enough to work, it would stiffen up if it ever got wet. While I believe that folks along the frontier used rawhide/half-dressed straps to tie stuff, I think it was looked upon as a disposable material and would not be suitable for long-term use.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:09:27 AM »
I like it that you did NOT succumb to the temptation to just go buy a violin tuning peg for a stopper. Ambitious project for a first. Well executed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:52:21 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Artificer

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
For your first horn, you did very well.  I'm sure in the period that many horns used were not nearly that good, except for the work of more experienced or professional Horners.

Your horn reminds me a lot of The Oldest authenticated artifact owned by The U.S. Marine Corps Museum - a "French and Indian War Period" style horn with two Revolutionary War Marines somewhat crudely scrimshanded on it.  Your scrimshanding of the hunter and dog actually is a little better quality than the two Marines on that horn.  For clarity, though, that horn is a natural brown and white color.  Now, considering the Colonial American Marine Corps did not come into being until an act of Congress on 10 November, 1775 - I was a little surprised at the earlier styling of that horn when I first saw it.  However on reflection, the French and Indian War ended only 12 years before the Revolutionary War Period began and sometimes some of us tend to forget that.

Legend has it The Marine Corps' first "Recruiting Station" was Tun Taven in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, though it MAY have been the "Conestoga Waggon" Tavern in the same city and owned by the family of our first Commandant Captain Samuel Nicholas.  Recruiting for the American Marines began in Philadelphia in December 1775.  The mother of our second Marine Officer, Captain Robert Mullen, owned Tun Tavern and recruiting began there after Captain Mullen received his commission in June 1776.  

I mention these things because that earliest authenticated Marine artifact Powder Horn, in "so early" of a style, most likely ALSO came from Pennsylvania and probably from the area of Philadelphia or at least some Marine Recruit brought it with him or made it or at least decorated it after it was issued to him.  (Unfortunately, the owner's name was lost.)  We know they had a hard time getting cartridge boxes for those first Marines and many of them were initially outfitted with bags and horns.   Now Philadelphia was considered a large city even then and "up to date" as Boston or New York.  If such an "Early" style of powder horn was brought along with a Marine Recruit or especially if it was issued to him, that tells us the earlier style had not gone out "of fashion or favour" even around Philadelphia.

Your ancestor being from a further western county in Pennsylvania, might well or even probably saw "French and Indian Style" horns as he grew up and his horn may also have been in that style.  Of course, there is no way to be sure, but it is entirely possible your ancestor owned such an "Early Style" of powder horn and used it during the Revolution.
Gus

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:31:29 AM by Artificer »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
Very much agree with Elnathan that a rawhide cord or strap would not have been used except in an emergency.  It would have been replaced with a leather or woven strap as soon as possible, if the original strap had broken or split.  A Hemp cord is also possible. 

In modern times we have a tendency to use the word "rawhide" too much when people actually mean tanned leather, though they may not realize it. 

In the period, one of the most well known uses of "real" rawhide was to repair a cracked or broken wrist of a gunstock.  When stretched taught when wet and sewn or laced, it would shrink even more when it dried hard and so hold a cracked/broken stock wrist together.  This shrinking and hardening when it dried would have made it a poor choice for a powder horn strap exposed to rain or snow.  (Yes, I know NA tribes used rawhide for storage containers, often called parfleches in the 19th century, but those containers were kept as dry as possible so as not to lose their shape if they got wet.)

Gus

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
 Good looking horn, the architecture and proportions are right. The carving is very well done. I'm sure it will not be your last.

Tim C.

Rkymtn57

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words and for taking the time to reply.
Also for all the historical information , that is so informative. D

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »
Darn fine horne!  First, you say.... you need to make more, as you have the hand and eye for it.

Regarding the shading of the triangles, I wouldn't do it on this horn.  It's finished and looks great as it is.  I really liked Rick's comment "the enemy of good is better".  Now you have a reason to make your second horn.... to try out shading every other triangle. 

Looking forward to seeing your second one.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

TradT

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 02:48:49 AM »
Outstanding work and a great looking horn!