Author Topic: NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar  (Read 8829 times)

Offline Chunker119

NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:19:53 AM »
Has anyone ever attend. Comments and concerns? Is lodging and meal provided or available? Thanks for the info!
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Sawatis

Re: NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »
Hey mtnman
Great training to be had. I was there three years back and it was very well run...even when the AC went out at the college!  They will give you all the logging info after ou gt registered and all. There is a hotel right off the highway where they have a block of rooms reserved usually...pretty reasonable and a bunch of us were staying there. Meals re on our own..but lots of choices in the area. Look a few posts down and you'll see others on the board discussing it.
What class are you looking at?
John

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »
I would like to register for the House Brothers Class. Anyone know how that class would work? Do you start building a rifle during the class??
Colton L. Fleetwood                

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Colton

My advice to you is go. The experience will far out way any costs involved.

You provide your own lodging and meals. There is plenty of both in the area.There is a block of hotel rooms reserved for the students but there other accommodations in the area including campgrounds.

In the House class you begin by forging butt plates and trigger guards and then begin building a rifle.

Mitch Yates

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
The House class is full. I was told this when I tried to register. You can be placed on a waiting list in the event there are cancellations. You can speak with Brenda at NMLRA about being put "in line."
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
It is a lot of work.   Be sure you can handle 10 hour days of physical work.   I have a number of physical challenges and that has been a problem for me.  I was so worn out at the end of a day that I hardly had the strength to eat.  Then again,  I was working very hard in order to get everything out of the classes that I could.  Additionally, it is pretty primitive out at Hershel's place, but the college facilities are nice.   Given the cost in money and time,   I would try for classes where you really feel you could learn something you couldn't get on your own.   These are not classes you take for fun.     If you want a nice vacation type class, go to Conner Prairie.    You go to Bowling Green to work, and work hard.   

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Colton, I have been twice and it was worth every penny.  Here are a couple of links to postings I made from previous years on the seminar.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22297.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16971.0

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:44:26 AM »
Colton,

What Mitch said.  It's by far and away, the best thing going relative to Longrifle craft.  Not only is the learning experience awesome, you'll meet some great folks, and have a lot of fun.  I've signed up for this year, and God willing, will be going back for at least a few years more. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:51:34 AM »
Anyone know any info on Mark Silver's Stock Architecture Class? And Curtis, at 18, I believe I might be the youngest in attendance. Haha
Colton L. Fleetwood                

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
Colton,

I have not taken Mark's stock architecture class yet, however if I could have taken one of the nine day classes this year I likely would have taken it.  Mark Silver is a top notch builder and from what I have seen an excellent teacher.  I believe he is a past president of the CLA.  http://www.longrifle.ws/ Mark has a video that covers similar material that is offered in the class at the seminar, and I own a copy of the video....  http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/Titles%20and%20Prices.pdf ...it is an excellent video however  no matter how good a video is, it cannot compare to hands on instruction by a master builder, in person.  I would highly recommend the class to you if it is still available and you would be most welcomed as the youngest student if that turned out to be the case!! :D  I had a class next door to Mark Silvers a couple of years ago and had many opportunities to look in on the class as well as speak with Mark and several students.  From what I saw I would highly recommend it!  Much of the stock shaping is done with planes, a method Mark has determined through study of originals was employed by period gunsmiths.

I hope to see you there!  Please feel free to ask more questions here or pm me if you prefer.

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:08:51 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »
Colton I might be able to help you also with some questions you have. What were you wondering about Marks class? I have taken classes with Mark and have been to classes there at Bowling Green 8 years running now, soon to be nine. Even every year the line up is a little different so there is always something new but many of them are repeated because they are either the basics and in high demand or some can easily take multiple sessions to obtain a level of skill. This is definitely the shortest option to learning these skills since the traditional 7 year apprenticeship isn't around anymore.
Darrin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:48:59 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Sawatis

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
Colton,

...it is an excellent video however  no matter how good a video is, it cannot compare to hands on instruction by a master builder, in person.

The video is great and it would be a good one to view before the class...I fully agree with Curtis...having the chance to talk to Mark as your working brings insight a video doesn't hold a candle to! Hope to see you there!
John

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
These classes are a lot of fun. There wouldnt be such a huge return rate if they werent. There are a number of folks who swear they will never miss these classes as long as they are offered. Many take this as there vacation. Those that cant make it every year (and they will vouch for this) really miss going and think about it daily while the classes are in session. You learn way way more than just whats in your class. You learn from every class if you want to go walk around and visit them. They are not drill seargents, its very loose & open and very relaxed. You break when you want to. You dine together as much as you want to and the learning is continuous because of all the questions you hear other ask. Not to mention the excellent sellection of new and antique arms that are there to examine.
Not to mention and maybe the most important is the network of friends you will make. Many will be life long after words. Dont you agree Curtis?
Darrin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:58:19 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:43:57 AM »
I certainly agree Darrin, you summarized the seminar quite well.  I am already counting the days until it starts in June!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 04:40:28 AM »
I'm signed up for the course at Hershel's.  I live about an hour away so am planning to commute.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:03 AM »
 I was in the House bro's class last year. I would love to do it again. I haven't signed up yet. Still deciding on it but I will.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
When do they announce the class attendees?  Want to find out which of the three options I get.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:16 PM »
Probably the second week of April.  If you go to the NMLRA website they have contact information so you can find out for certain.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments everybody.  Perhaps this should be made a "sticky" post?

Sawatis

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Hey Jim
Since your out there, I'd say that was a pretty nice spread they did in Muzzleloader! Kudos!
See you in Bowling Green
John

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
Sticky it is.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:58 AM »
My apologies.  I thought this thread had information linked pertaining to courses offered and sign up.  I must have been confused with another thread.  Here is the information:

http://nmlra.org/programs-2/gunsmithing-seminar/

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:44:08 AM by Jim Kibler »