Author Topic: Muzzle Cap Installation  (Read 13362 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Muzzle Cap Installation
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
I use copper harness rivets from the hardware store. I have to turn the heads down some they are usually larger than the width of the barrel flat.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
I use harness rivets too, Micah.  The head is too large, but is quite thin, so when inletting it into the wood on the inside of the barrel channel, it does not go very deep.  I file the head square as it is easier to inlet into the wood with chisels, and also will not revolve when riveting, though that is unlikely to be a problem.  A square head just sits better in the flat of the channel, to me anyway.  I have also used cutler's rivets and brake shoe rivets for this task, which are of brass.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:20 AM »
Good idea Taylor. Never did like turning those things down in the drill anyway. Thanks for the idea, square heads from now on.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:34 AM »
I too use copper harness rivets as well as roofing nails.   It just depends on if I am in the mood for cooper or iron at the time, although I usually use iron on iron mounted rifles.   I just clip the heads square with aircraft shears.   

JohnTyg

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
I couldn't find any copper rivets at the time so just chucked some brass rod in the drill press. 
Did not need epoxy. The rivet is proud of the cap and is just held in the stock by the barrel as has not been preened at this point.  Single rivet and tight enough fit to shape forearm and and no epoxy needed!

(Old photo, not a new build yet as I need to finish the darned MG).

Offline flehto

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
Heavy amp electrical wire is used...strip the insulation, insert in the head forming plate, clamp in the vise and peen the head. Ctsk the wood and MC and install and file flush...both ends. Electrical wire is very soft and serves the purpose well.....Fred

4ster

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »
I'm liking the epoxy and draw bore technique.  Any suggestions on where I might procure extra copper rivets similar to what are in the Chambers kits?

When I screwed up the nose cap placement the first time on my Chambers pistol I was able to find copper rivets of the same style at my local Ace Hardware.  I think they are commonly used for joining leather.  I am lucky in that my local hardware still has lots of small parts in bins, not plastic packaging.