Author Topic: Looking for Project Partner(s) in Central VA  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Looking for Project Partner(s) in Central VA
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:17:45 AM »
I have asked about this before, but I am going to ask again.    I am pretty serious about making a completely hand made rifle.    I have already started on the lock. However,  I will need help when it comes to the barrel.   I have several pieces of third run wrought; 1.25" x 24" round bar stock; that I think will make a skelp for a barrel 40" plus.   I also have some carriage tire that I am using for lock parts.    I will provide the iron for two barrels and locks.    I will need a 10lb sledge, perhaps another size fuller and top swage, and a handheld cutoff.    It might help if the partner had these.   I don't intend this to be a full time project;  just a Saturday project every now and then when we both have time.   We will need to make the square reamers, and a reaming and rifling bench.   I figured we could also share these.    Anyway,  If there is anyone in central VA who also wants to make a hand made barrel,  send me a PM.   If there are two other people who are interested,  that would be even better and I think I can swing the iron for three barrels and locks.  I think this would be a great learning experience for all.   It would be great if the at least one of the other builders was fairly young so that they could teach others.    At 52,  you might not think I am that old, but I am grateful for each day I get.    Thanks.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Looking for Project Partner(s) in Central VA
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »
I have been in contact with Mark Brier who is a grandson of the late Tom Dawson
and he is another one who does everything by hand. I am not surprised about this
but only found out about it recently.

Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Mark-give david r a note,he and a few others have been working on such a project.Good luck,God Bless. Dave on the mountain

Offline jrb

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
If i was'nt in Ohio i'd love to get in on that project. Of course i'd bring my own wrought iron, so i did'nt have to feel bad about destroying yours :D.
 I burned about 300 lbs of coal last summer practising welds but haven't tried butt welds yet. I'm sooo-ooo far from being able to weld a barrel though.
 I got the Jon Laubach dvd a few months ago and haven't watched it lately, but i was thinking he started with a skelp about 4" wide x 1/2" thick, tapering to 3 1/2 x 3/8" thick.
About 15 pounds at the start, burned-reduced to about 6 pounds before filing and boring.
The 1 1/4" round might flatten to enough width, but i don't think there would be enough material to draw out the length? I dunno
Now i'm gonna have to re-watch the dvd and wait for warm weather.
Have fun with your project, that would be the ultimate, having a rifle you made all the parts to.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:35 AM »
I think I have my three people, but we are spread out a bit; Richmond area, Northern Neck, and Roanoke.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:46:16 AM »
If i was'nt in Ohio i'd love to get in on that project. Of course i'd bring my own wrought iron, so i did'nt have to feel bad about destroying yours :D.
 I burned about 300 lbs of coal last summer practising welds but haven't tried butt welds yet. I'm sooo-ooo far from being able to weld a barrel though.
 I got the Jon Laubach dvd a few months ago and haven't watched it lately, but i was thinking he started with a skelp about 4" wide x 1/2" thick, tapering to 3 1/2 x 3/8" thick.
About 15 pounds at the start, burned-reduced to about 6 pounds before filing and boring.
The 1 1/4" round might flatten to enough width, but i don't think there would be enough material to draw out the length? I dunno
Now i'm gonna have to re-watch the dvd and wait for warm weather.
Have fun with your project, that would be the ultimate, having a rifle you made all the parts to.

If it isn't enough metal for a skelp,  I will weld two pieces together.  John Biven's article about Wallace Gusler forging a barrel has Wallace starting with a piece of iron 1"x1 1/4" x 22" from which he forged his skelp.  That is why I think mine might be enough.    That stuff stretches pretty far.   I make an entire trigger guard from 8" of 1/2" square bar and have plenty of cutoffs left on the floor at the end.    My iron for the barrels is  third run, so I don't expect to loose that much more weight as a lot of the slag has already been worked out of it. 

I probably don't have the experience to do this project either, but I will have by the time it is done. ;)   Wrought iron is pretty forgiving.   You can just keep welding it up.   We have three of these barrels to make, one for each guy; and we are not done until three pass proof.   I imagine by the time we are done,  we will know about as much about hand forging rifle barrels as any body.    I have never let ignorance stop me from doing something.    ;D    If I want to do something,  I do it.   Just be glad I am not interested in neurosurgery. :D

sweed

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
You know of course, all this must be documented and posted!!!  ;D  Might need another body for the camera/mike. If I was closer.....

sweed

Offline jrb

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »
Aw, there's no thumbs-up symbol thing on here, But it sounds awesome Mark, and thumbs-up to you guys!

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:53 PM »
You know of course, all this must be documented and posted!!!  ;D  Might need another body for the camera/mike. If I was closer.....

sweed

Unfortunately,  for me,  I can either work or take pictures, but not both.   Besides,  Jim Wright and Jon Laubach have already done that.   We are just doing the lab work, so to speak.   ;)