Author Topic: Hello from the NG.  (Read 6716 times)

Bothkamp

Hello from the NG.
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:14:20 AM »
Hello all,

Have been reading the forum for a long while and now that I have retired, moved back home, settled and set up a shop I am ready to start my first long rifle build, actually a fowler. My love and use of flintlocks is life long and carried on from my grandfather,  just have never built one myself. I have learned much here and practicing inletting various objects into 2x4's really helped pass the time while on deployments.  Have also acquired, read and re read all the books and DVD's on the subject of long rifle building that I know of.

Anyway, I have ordered a couple kits with intention of starting what I believe will be the one to best start with. A Clay Smith French fusil trade gun. I hope to document and share, here, through pictures, my progress with this build and put my study to work hopefully building from a plank in the near future.  Lucky to have my grandfathers tools, just wish I would have taken interest in building while at home when he was alive, however I did learn finer points of shooting front stuffers from him.

Many thanks, Antal
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:15:33 AM by Bothkamp »

Offline Long Ears

Re: Hello from the NG.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:54:57 AM »
Welcome Bothkamp, as you know this is a great site with some great artist. Good luck. Bob

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
Welcome, Antal! Please make yourself at home, and share your progress with us.
Regards, Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
Welcome to ALR Antal, evidently the others know or too shy to ask but where is "NG".

Glad to have you join with us, lots of good folks here. Make yourself at home.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Bothkamp

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Thanks Dennis, NG stands for new guy, as in the Marine Corps but I left the F off then front. Trying to break old habits no longer needed.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
Duh, that's makes sense, didn't even think of that! I was trying to figure out what area of the country the "NG" was ;D
Welcome and thanks for your service.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
LOL ;D

Welcome to our FOB. (Dennis- that's a Forward Operating Base)  We don't seem to have as much as a problem with our NG's, but then again, our lives don't depend on it!

I've handled the gun you are going to build and they handle beautifully and look great.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Welcome. Did you say 2 kits? I like a guy that jumps in with both feet. Good luck with your KITS. My advice is take it slowly at first, they'll work out great for you.

fastfrankie

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
Welcome to ALR.This is a great site and you can learn much from it.

Frank

Offline davebozell

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and thank you very much for your service.  I'll second the motion to take everything slowly.  You'll find lots of great advise here when you run into a roadblock. (And there will probably be plenty of those.  Don't ask me how I know.)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
Welcome Antal ! We called them NUGs in my day. :)

You've landed in a good place for obtaining expert advice on your build, if you run into any questions I am sure someone will have an answer. A fowler sounds like a fun project. Two kits, what is the other one?

Cheers

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bothkamp

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 11:22:19 PM »
The other kit is a Dunlap Haines kit with a .36 cal A weight barrel at 38 inches long. Have a .54 cal Haines rifle that was built by Allen Martin from a Dunlap stock with a Deluex Siler and a Getz 42 inch barrel. So the plan is to have a little cousin squirrel rifle to the big elk rifle. Only problem is there ain't no squirrels around these parts so PD shooting will be a bit more challenging.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:01:04 AM »
Welcome glad to have new blood to learn from.  Where are "these parts" located?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

oakridge

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:47 AM »
PD shooting?  Okay, I'm gonna take a real wild guess here.......Prairie Dogs?

pushboater

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Antal! You will not find a better source of information in regards to the American Longrifle. The wealth of knowledge available to you on this site is quite amazing. Don't hesitate to ask questions because I can almost guarantee that someone will have an answer or a solution to your problem. Take your time, have fun, and enjoy your projects.

Capt. David

Bothkamp

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
Welcome glad to have new blood to learn from.  Where are "these parts" located?

Wyoming, NE of Laramie.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »
I thought NG was for New Guinea and the flintlock might be a tribal necessity.

woodburner

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:23:47 AM »
Antal, welcome to the forum. The fellows here know what to know! Tim

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:41 AM »
Welcome Antal. When you get to some aspect of the build that you dont fully understand you will have this site, your grandpas past efforts, and that Allen Martin rifle for inspiration. Dont be affraid to ask questions even if they might sound silly at the time. Good luck and welcome home and thank you for your service.

Bothkamp

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks all,

This last year has been a challenge and a somewhat of a shock after thirty years of being surrounded by others and having a daily purpose. Now that I have a lathe and mill up and running, a few projects for local folks to keep somewhat busy and the rest of my time is filled with granddaughters and this new hobby.

Thank you again and I will be asking questions.

Antal