Author Topic: My other "bench"  (Read 7492 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
My other "bench"
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
With all this talk of our work benches and shop setups, I'm feeling disconnected as my workbench, made of recycled 2x4s, has been floating around with me in the Portland region for half a year.  Back on the East coast with family for the holidays and Lewisburg show, I've been spending time at my other work bench, my drafting table. 

When I was too young to care about what my parents were talking about while eating out at restaurants, I flipped over the paper place mat and designed boats, planes, and trains.  Now, I like to draw out my gun projects before cutting any wood.  On long arms I set up the lock profile, side profile, top profile and finally sections.  Pistols are small enough that I'm comfortable doing my design work directly on the wood (then making paper plans for sale off of the finished piece).  It's a little different way to approach things, but I enjoy designing on paper almost as much as building.  Here are a few pictures of my drafting set up, with a newly finished early Peter Neihart.  The Neihart is based on three different early guns of his. 

Now on to a plan for a Rupp/Kuntz pistol that I finished recently but haven't yet posted on the forum.   

-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: My other "bench"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
Very nice work there Eric!  I come from a background of design drafting and (manual and cadd) and it is refreshing to see your drawings! 

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Thom

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
I was a board draftsman. (Highway designer). I was very dissapointed in the early nineties when everything went to computer aided drafting. I draw my rifles out full size. If it don't work on paper it sure won't work with wood and metal.
Thom

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
When I went through Middle School or what is called Junior High in other regions, it was required in 8th grade that all boys did one semester of mechanical drawing and one semester of wood shop.

It was well known that most boys would not wind up as Draftsmen, but they believed it was important every lad get even that much knowledge of making and reading drawings and blueprints to better develop the mind. 

Unfortunately, this was changed in the late 70’s or early 80’s to where these things are no longer generally taught and I believe we are poorer for it.
Gus

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »
Gus,
That's for sure. We turn out youngsters that can't read a yard stick
or do anything without looking at a screen to get help. An electronic
dependency has risen up.

Bob Roller

pushboater

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »
Great drawings Eric! I took a couple years of drafting in High School and a couple years of Aeronautical Engineering in college, so I really appreciate the work that went into them.  Again, thanks for sharing.

Capt. David

sweed

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

Eric

When I went to school many moon ago, I took "mechdr" two years. I took it as a "gravy train" cause the teacher was friendly and drawing came easy to me. Later I joined the carpenters union of my dads, the only way to get work, and became an apprentice 4 years. Due to my ability to read drawings, the day I graduated app. school, I was made foreman. Within two years, I was General foreman on a medium sized job. All because of "mechdr". My motto then was, "If you can draw it, I can build it". Now you have shown me that "If you can't draw it, you can't build it." Thank you for the incite. Always knew it, just never thought about it that way.

sweed

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
I spent hours as a kid lofting hulls for ship models. I love to draw.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Nothing beats a good drawing for eliminating problems--before they become problems..I make full scale prints as well.  25 yr. off & on as a draftsman,  Mylar to Autocad..Tom

Sawatis

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »
Nothing beats a good drawing for eliminating problems--before they become problems..I make full scale prints as well.  25 yr. off & on as a draftsman,  Mylar to Autocad..Tom
Ain't that the truth. I've been drafting and refining a set of plans for a tool chest to haul my kit when I'm traveling and found an oops that would have been bad news if I had just winged it...also found a better way yo do something eliminating a couple hours of work ;D
John

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
No doubt my work would benefit from some well made drawings, but the chances of clearing a space big enough on the bench to draw them?  Well... I just don't see that happening. ;)

Nice work Eric, and it's reflected in the finshed products!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:01 AM »
When these prints go up for sale, and I hope they do, I'd sure like a set!
I happen to have a custom barrel for a Neihart coming soon! Life is full of co-incidences, so full, co-incidence can't be ignored as one of the gods.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
In 9th grade I took 3 classes as electives - wood shop, auto shop, and drafting.  They don't have those classes anymore at the new highschool, a real shame.  Both my parents are architects, so I suppose I got a bit of it from them.  My dad still draws, though everyone else in the office works with CAD. 

What a coincidence Acer  ;), you can certainly get a print of this one, I hope it's an unusually large breech for a Lehigh.  I need to do an overhaul on my website for my prints so I can properly display and sell these. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
Like many of you I took 3 years of mechanical drawing in high school and then an elective in architecture. My career path changed into electronics and then computers but I still love to draw. Layout  to finished product. It's an ability that serves me well. Haven't thought about it much but my sons did not have drafting as they went through high school....too bad. I wish they had more practical skills, maybe that's part of it.

Kindigs #4 is an interesting rifle and one of my favorites although it doesn't get the attention that the RCA examples do. Have often though about making a rifle based on that one.

Beautiful drawing.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
In 9th grade I took 3 classes as electives - wood shop, auto shop, and drafting.  They don't have those classes anymore at the new highschool, a real shame.  Both my parents are architects, so I suppose I got a bit of it from them.  My dad still draws, though everyone else in the office works with CAD. 

What a coincidence Acer  ;), you can certainly get a print of this one, I hope it's an unusually large breech for a Lehigh.  I need to do an overhaul on my website for my prints so I can properly display and sell these. 
-Eric

I'd like to order several of your drawings advertized on your website. The cross sections on  the stocks are a great help for builders without acsess to finished rifles. When will you be taking orders?  On the Lehigh drawings are the cheek carvings included?

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:01:50 PM by Rolf »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
I'm working on 'Peel 'n Stick' carvings for longrifles. Peel off the paper, position on the buttstock, then press into place. Stain and finish the gun as you normally would. Looks like original gun carvings. Soon to be available at your local muzzleloading shop in Christian's Spring, Lehigh, Reading and Lancaster patterns.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:09:22 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Eric:  You done good.  I sure wish I had room for my father-in-law's old early 1900's drafting table in our house.  It is in our garage and unheated so I don't use it.  I too had engineering drawing experience and even though everyone at USGS was switching to computer for drawing, I still kept using my rapidograph pens.  I learned on them and still have them as well as an ultrasonic cleaner for the tips.  I've also inherited all of my father-in-laws instruments as well as pencils and pencil pointers.  I'm not sure anyone would know what they are these days.  I share my heated shop with my wife's jewelry making endeavors and I don't think she would be happy if I displaced her just to put in her dad's table.  By the way, I really like your website and wish you would show us a step by step record of the restoration project you show.

Curt

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:12 AM »
Rapidographs! Whoa! Wonder what I did with mine? Do they still make them?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

CARROLLCO

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:35 AM »
I too had wood shop and mechanical drawing in Jr High. I appreciate Mr. O. W. Keeling (the Teacher) to this day. He stressed safety and woe to anyone breaking his rules. A trip into the hallway with his paddle and attitudes were adjusted quickly on the spot. I do workwooding as a hobby and own a house. What I learned is used every week. I still use my Jr. High drafting tools that we were required to purchase (German made). I regret that I never told my teachers what they meant to me and my life. We got a great HS education on 16 credits. I retired as a teacher, principal and central office administrator.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
I sold my board and machine last spring. I knew my new digs just wouldn't have the space for it. I miss it already and am not even set up to work yet. Nice work Eric!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln