Author Topic: Shot cups in a 16 ga flinter  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Shot cups in a 16 ga flinter
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
Someone just asked about paper shot cups and reminded me of the 50 or so plastic shot cups that I have for a 16 bore. I have used cups made from brown grocery bags and have had good results. Am tempted to try these plastic cups in my fowler and see how they pattern. Anyone tried them? If so what were the results, can I get by shooting just a few or do they melt and foul the barrel? They are the type that are flat and you need to roll the sides and fold the bottom up under the cup, Probably the first type of shot cutps made for a shotgun.
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:41:23 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

Re: Shot cups in a 16 ga flinter
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:37:57 AM »
Dennis- I'd place a hard card between the plastic cup and the powder, if I was you.  Black powder flame is considerably hotter, it seems than smokeless powder.

Smokeless powder fired plastic wads will show marking, but not the melted plastic that black powder seems to produce.

When using plastic shot cups in 12 bore BP loads, I found the black powder actually melted the plastic cups and coated the bore with plastic.- thus my recommendation of using a card to protect the 'cup' from the flame.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:40:36 AM »
Dennis- I'd place a hard card between the plastic cup and the powder, if I was you.  Black powder flame is considerably hotter, it seems than smokeless powder.

Smokeless powder fired plastic wads will show marking, but not the melted plastic that black powder seems to produce.

When using plastic shot cups in 12 bore BP loads, I found the black powder actually melted the plastic cups and coated the bore with plastic.- thus my recommendation of using a card to protect the 'cup' from the flame.

I have some nitro cards, I suspect they would work better than overshot cards.
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:57:54 AM »
Dennis,  I've used them and as Daryl said, I got a lot of plastic spaghetti out of the barrels of a perc. dbl.  different brands fit tighter or looser.
I was using single wad columns, not just plastic shot cups.  I like Daryl's idea of trying them with the card under them.  Right now I have plenty of fiber and cardboard wads to use up before I try plastic again.  I bought some 14 ga. wads from you.

James Levy   
James Levy

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
A strong second to Daryl's comments about the use of a card wad to protect the plastic shot cup. Been there and it is not pretty. The paper will work just labor intensive to make neat cups.
J.B.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »
Interesting information.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
That was a great link - good info. tks
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
Perfect timing!  I just purchased my first fowler at the Lewisburg show, a 16 guage.
Roger Fleisher

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »
Since the tallow has substantial weight I would weigh the finished candle you intend to load.  You powder charge will need to be adjusted to that total weight versus just the weight of shot.