Author Topic: ideas for fixing a patchbox lid?  (Read 3702 times)

magyar

ideas for fixing a patchbox lid?
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:02:22 AM »
Afternoon all. My three year old, who is my shop buddy and full time shadow, decided to help dad out a bit last week while I was away at work. My sliding patchbox lid did need more final shaping and engraving but he felt that it was best done with the claws of his mini hammer he got from Lowe's. So while mommy was moving some things around in the garage he very efficiently grabbed the lid from my bench and went to work.

So, long story short I need some ideas for remodeling it. There is a gouge about a 1/4 inch deep and maybe an inch long on the face of it but overall shaping is still fine. I am thinking some kind of inlay or plate for  my name. Any other ideas? First build so I am not as creative as I probably could be. Pics of some interesting ones??

Thanks all!

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: ideas for fixing a patchbox lid?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:09:12 AM »
pics?
Galations 2:20

magyar

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:12:00 AM »
I meant that maybe there are some pics of other lids that could give ideas. If so, great. If not, that's ok too.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
Is it a gouge or a dent?  I have had pretty good luck steaming dents out, sometimes significant ones.  Wet the dent with water or water and a little alcohol, and when you think ut has soaked up all it will, hit it with a heat gun, soldering iron, or other heat source.  The idea is to turn the water to steam and push the dent out. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Micah2

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
I would make sure it works well mechanically, then carry on with building the gun. Maybe let him help again.   Your son could help provide a patina that you will look at fondly for the rest of your life. 

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
The answer kind of depends on what type of rifle you are building.

Follow this link and scroll down to Ed's English Sporting Rifle. That wood lid has some very nice silver trim added to it. This would work on an English style gun.

http://www.vaflintlocks.com/photo-gallery

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
Overlay or inlay some ebony, bone or metal to cover the problem area?  How thick is the lid, many first timers have patch box covers which are way too thick anyway.  If you can thin out the lid to remove the gouges and still retain enough thickness for working strength that is probably the easiest fix. 

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:14 AM »
Leave it and give the rifle to him when he is old enough to get a good grin from his youthful handy work. This is what memories are made of.
Psalms 144

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
Clark's suggestion is right on target for me. It brings tears to my eyes thinking how that would bond him with that rifle if you allow his "work" to remain. When he is your age, he and you will be proud of his early "contribution".
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Make a new lid, but keep the old one also. Stain and finish both so they will match and you will have interchangeable lids and an irreplaceable memory.