Author Topic: Finished the Hawken up  (Read 5913 times)

frontier gander

Finished the Hawken up
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:29 AM »
Just finished this off for an online buddy that bought the project off me and then I finished it to his liking.

Started off life as a 50cal CVA Hawken but the barrel was water rusted of all things

I polished all the lock parts and trigger parts that touched/rubbed against each other and that really made a huge difference in how clean the trigger breaks.

Reshaped the stock a bit in the wrist area as you can see, 4 coats LMF nut brown, followed by 2 coats LMF walnut, low gloss tung oil, buffed with 0000 steel wool and then 2 coats of Johnson paste wax. Brass was antiqued with perma blue gun paste and then brass black.

Factory rear sight so he can easily adjust POI but I did install a new german silver front blade sight. Super super happy with this sight set up.

Now getting to the real goodies, I had fit and installed a new deer creek .58cal 32" 1:66 twist barrel and bedded the tang, trigger plate and a small forward section of the stock to make sure theres no side to side play under recoil or in foul weather.

The rifle just came out perfect, I wish I had done mine this way but you know what that means for me now... REFINISH!

I'll get some more pictures of it on the range when I can make it out. For now, this will do.

ken

Re: Finished the Hawken up
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »
That looks pretty good , Hope it shoots as well as it looks. What did you do to breech area to get better fit and what did you use for a breech plug?  ken

frontier gander

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
deer creek has everything installed, no work needed the breech. I did have to relocate the tenon though.

Acraglas under the tang, trigger plate and section of the barrel up front. This stuff is awesome and keeps the metal from pulling into the wood under heavy recoil.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:50:26 AM »
Is that under-rib short of the nose piece?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

frontier gander

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:08 AM »
yep. I use a shorter version to keep the weight off the nose of the barrel.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Nice looking rifle.  Rifles like these have introduced many a new members into our muzzle loading ranks over the years, and have sparked an interest for many to pursue other styles and makes of traditional muzzle loaders.  Good job.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Kenny

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
I really like the rifle, finish is very nice but that under rib just looks wrong being short like that. IMO

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
You have a handsome rifle.  I don't think the short under rib looks bad at all; just different and there's nothing wrong with that.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
Cool looking ball gun. What does she weigh?

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

frontier gander

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
8lbs 9oz

The shorter rib does look different but its all from a hunters/target stand point, You don't want to be any more heavier up front than it has to be. Going out here in a bit to shoot it for the first time. :o

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »
Let us know how well she does.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

frontier gander

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:45 AM »
90gr Schuetzen with a .562" round ball didn't shoot that great with this powder but at least it reacts the same way my other twin of this rifle does! Huge comfort once I switched to a much tighter .575" ball with a .015" patch. Only 2 shots as I am out of the .575's now.

50 yards

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
Can't argue the last two shots!  She's marking good!
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days