Author Topic: Chambers Colonial Fowler  (Read 6417 times)

billd

Chambers Colonial Fowler
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:11:38 AM »
I've posted several questions recently about fowler barrels, jug choking, shooting round balls from jug chokes, etc... After listening to everyone's advice I decided to build a 12 ga. dedicated to turkey hunting.

After adding up all the costs I found I could get a Chambers kit for just about the same amount. I talked to Barbie today and they have the barrel and all the hardware in stock. Jim could bring it to Lewisburg next week saving me shipping.
I am using my wood and live about an hour from Bob Lepley. Barbie told me I could hand deliver the wood to him, again more shipping savings.

My question now is...Does anyone have one of these guns for himself? I'm wondering how comfortable they are to shoot?  I know the kits are great, just need to know if it's a good handling gun, doesn't break you cheek, rattle your teeth or dislocate your shoulder.  ;D  I'm a tall lanky build. About 6'2" and 210 lbs, about 20 of them are extra.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Chambers Colonial Fowler
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »
Well now Bill U know me up front with everything good or bad.  Hunting you shoot a shot or 2 if lucky.  And much like the .o6 at a deer - you don't even feel the recoil.

Now then a 12 ga (with ball) in the summer with light clothing repeated shots IMHO equals a good way to develop a flinch!  Thats one reason I went with a 28 - for r ball shooting and very seldom with shot!  If she will be mainly a turkey gun a 12 be the best choice. !

billd

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »
Thanks Roger but I'm asking about that particular gun.  You can have two guns, same caliber or gauge, same weight but depending on stock design one is a joy to shoot and the other beats the $#@* out of you.   

Bill

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
Thanks Roger but I'm asking about that particular gun.  You can have two guns, same caliber or gauge, same weight but depending on stock design one is a joy to shoot and the other beats the $#@* out of you.   

Bill
Seems like I meant the 'shoulder' part and maybe the teeth/tooth part! ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
I have the Chambers Colonial Fowler in  10 bore with a Cherry stock. I mention the cherry, because I'm sure that it is lighter than a maple one. With 120 to 140 gr FFg and a patched .715 ball, it is a handfull.
I took a bit more off the comb after it was first finished 'cause it clobbered me pretty good. Now it's OK,
but it is a hungry beast that wants to be fed! Lots of powder and lead. For what it does, I wouldn't trade it, but a day's target shooting is a bit much. I use the gun for hunting. For target, I use my 20 bore,
or my 28 bore.  If I could have only 1, the 20 would do in a pinch, but I'd probably build a 16.
Haven't tried really reduced loads in the 10 yet, so maybe that would be an option for you.
The Colonial Fowler is a great gun.

billd

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
Thanks Bob, 
This one will be cherry stocked too. Jug choked and will probably never see a roundball.

Bill

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »
For shooting shot from a 12 gage Fowler I use a volume load of 2.3/4 drms of black powder to 1.1/8oz of  shot.Here in the UK that is the standard load I personally find it easy on the shoulder and can fire from 50 to 100 shots in a day with ease
Feltwad

northmn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
When you build fowlers or any heavy recoiling arm DO NOT put on a finish until you shoot it a few times to see if it kicks you in the cheek.  It is easier to remove wood before finishing.  I built a 12 gauge fowler out of cherry wood because a Brown Bess replica was nailing me in the cheek.  It was one of the most comfortable 12 gauge fowlers I shot.  I even competed in BP trap with it against percussions. Don't think I won anything, but held my own.  Since you are making a kit gun you can do some adjusting for fit.  You want a very wide buttplate.  As it is a turkey gun, shoot it as you would at turkeys.  As stated, hunting is such that you can tolerate the recoil, but these guns are fun to shoot and occaisionally popping at clay pigeons is kind of relaxing.   My 12 bore lightweight is fine with shot but a SOB shooting off the bench with RB's.

DP 

Bentflint

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
Bill, I built one for my nephew in 10 g.  Bob is dead on right about it. First time to a shoot with this gun (35 shot woods walk) he realized it ain’t a ball gun. 35 balls = 3 ½ lbs. The strap on his shooting bag got to him before we started.

AS far as shot goes, with the turkey load we worked up it’s more like a tactical nuke on birds. 2 oz. #5s and I don’t remember the powder charge off the top of head but well over a 100. Not that fun to shoot but does the job well.

I can’t shoot military muskets, my cheek bone is just lays wrong on the comb, they rattle my head and make it hard to grin after a few shots. The Chambers fowler does not hurt my face much. But as said above, I built the gun without my nephew there when I was shaping the comb so I fit it to my face. It has no effect on the owner’s cheek bone.

I don’t think you could get him to part with it while he is still alive. He has several flintlocks now rifled and smooth. I’m pretty sure the fowler is his favorite though it’s not well suited for every task.

Over all I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to deliver a shot payload. And by the way, 20 grains of powder, a fiber wad and a leftover hotdog is impassive too.

Bruce Everhart