Author Topic: Mid-1800s pistol by Mathias Ringle  (Read 2482 times)

Stevesgllm7

Mid-1800s pistol by Mathias Ringle
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »
Hi there folks. I'm new to all of this and I'm trying to help a computer-challenged friend gather some information on an old percussion cap pistol he owns.

The gun (see photos) was made by a man named Mathias Ringle out of Blairsville, Pa., I believe sometime in the 1850s. It's an odd gun, i.e. percussion nipple on bottom side of barrel, etc.

There's not much information on Ringle to be had - I've found only three entries online - one of which is Ancestry.com and the other two are separate entries for two long rifles made by Ringle which include his stamp on the barrel and stocks made of tiger maple (which he had a good supply of and/or of which he was rather fond).

So, with such a dearth of information I am forced to petition members for their help and knowledge on this pistol. Any idea of its fair market value would be welcome as well.

Thanks very much in advance for your attention and help in this matter.

Steve

oakridge

Re: Mid-1800s pistol by Mathias Ringle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »
I don't see any photos, but it sounds like you're describing an underhammer pistol. American Gunsmiths, by Sellers, lists Mathias Ringle, Blairsville, Penn., 1835-1872. No other info.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Mid-1800s pistol by Mathias Ringle
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
Mathias Ringle's father, also named Mathias Ringle was a wagon maker at Valley Forge during the Rev War
and a good bit of information is available about him.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.