Author Topic: WALLACE GUSLER article in Distinction Magazine Feb, 2014  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Bill Paton

WALLACE GUSLER article in Distinction Magazine Feb, 2014
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »
New article about WALLACE GUSLER at the following link:

www.distinctionhr.com/2014/02/pioneer-of-the-past/

Don't miss the brief YouTube video at the end.  His anachronistic "shotgun" reference was really made to Wallace's all time favorite gun (Louis XIV's 1682 high art fowler) made by Wallace's all time favorite gunmaker (Bertrand Piraube), but the editor couldn't understand that so his voice saying "shotgun" was digitally inserted without Wallace's knowledge. See the gun in Lenk's Flintlock book (plate 76). Rest assured that Wallace Gusler's "primary interest" is not the Winchester Model 12! If you have the paper copy, read the editor's comments on page 18 as well.

Wallace would welcome feedback at  Gusler1774@verizon.net
                                                                                                 Bill Paton

Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Carl Young

Re: WALLACE GUSLER article in Distinction Magazine Feb, 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
I very much enjoyed the article & photos, especially the video...wish there were much more documenting the methods, knowledge and exceptional skill on all types of projects. There is so much to be learned from just watching skilled hands manipulate the tools.

And I am intrigued by the notion of a sculpture with 14k gold hair  :D ...seems to deserve a photo as well!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Bill

Regards,
Carl Young
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
"Wisps" does not describe the 14-karat gold. It is "short and curly", blond, thin-as-hair, yet thickly-planted wire in a nicely trimmed triangle standing out away from the bronze as in real life.  It was love at first sight for me!!! ;D
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
All you have to do is hang around Wallace; he will try to teach you something every time he has the opportunity to talk to you; whether you want him to or not. ;)   He is definitely somebody everybody should know.   I can say with complete sincerity that he is a treasure.   

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
That was a great article!  A little too short, but great none the less!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
I've only had the chance to sit and talk with him a few times, but he has always been helpful and been willing to talk about any subject under the moon. I don't know where the saying comes from, but my father used to say  "knowledge is the one thing you can give away and still keep."  Wallace seems to live by that too.

Sawatis

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
All you have to do is hang around Wallace; he will try to teach you something every time he has the opportunity to talk to you; whether you want him to or not. ;)   He is definitely somebody everybody should know.   I can say with complete sincerity that he is a treasure.   
Absolutely...I'm taking his Carving class in June (finally...) learned more from him in lunch chats than in years of fiddling around!
John

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »
Absolutely...I'm taking his Carving class in June (finally...) learned more from him in lunch chats than in years of fiddling around!
John

I have learned a lot from him in a bunch of 5-10 minute conversations.   

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
I met Wallace at the recent rifle show in New Market, VA.  I asked him a question, and he spent an entire hour with me.