Author Topic: hard to get solder  (Read 2831 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
hard to get solder
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:43:24 AM »
 For many years I have used swif 95 past solder to solder on under ribs and thimbles with perfect sucess.
All of a sudden I find that it is almost impossible to obtain. If any body wants some I suggest you find it now.  I think the EPA [ enployment prevention adjency] has outlawed it because of the antimony content. It is great stuff if you don't breath it too much.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Old Ford2

Re: hard to get solder
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:31 AM »
Hi Jerry,
Where do you normally get it?
I will see what is available here in the Great White North.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »
Oh for crying out loud. I like that solder and have meant to order some more for the last 6 months or so. I just checked Brownells and it says it is discontinued.

arrrgh! >:(

Does anybody know if there is another low temp paste solder that is as strong as Swif. It is tough stuff.

caliber45

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
It's time, obviously, for one of you ingenious folks to tell the rest of us how to make our own paste solder . . . assuming the do-gooders haven't made lead so scarce that solder goes the route of the passenger pigeon . . . -- paulallen, greencastle IN

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Suitable substitutes maybe http://www.smtsolderpaste.com/product-list.php?all-solder-paste-pg1-cid41.html Tin/silver or Tin/lead paste solders.

Mitch