Author Topic: His 1st build  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
His 1st build
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:48:08 AM »
About a year ago I gave a young man (18ish) pieces to make a pistol. We worked on it for a few days then it got set aside. A couple days ago he showed up and wanted to get back at it. We only had the barrel, trigger & lock inlet. We got the trigger guard fit & inlet, the pipes inlet and a belt hook inlet. He shaped the gun & sanded it, wicked 3 or 4 times. It looked good. I had some aqua fortis so we splashed some on & applied some heat. Then rubbed oil on it. It hss a small Siler lock & Rayl .50 cal x 7/8" barrel. He's really happy with the way it turned out. You might be able to tell by the picture:

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: His 1st build
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:44 AM »
Keb, a most wonderful story, and a now a flintlock addict! Thanks for spending time with this young man!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Keb - That's wonderful!  I was 18 when I built my first flintlock (nowhere as nice as that one), and now I'm hooked on them.  Hopefully he'll become hooked too.  Show him how to shoot it - I still can't shoot a flintlock pistol accurately, though I love building them.  Thanks for sharing,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
I'll bet he thinks that pistol is the coolest thing he's ever seen. I didn't get started till I was 23.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
I wish I'd have started at that age, but doubt I'd have had the patience. 

Hope he sticks with it!  I had a neighborhood kid I was taking hunting and helped him build a rifle, but he was only 12-13.  Once the bugger hit 15 he found girls and cars and I haven't seen him since.   :(
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

ken

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
That young man should be proud!! Nice gun and a good story , thank for taking the time to teach, who says all the youth are bad , look at that smile ken

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »
He's a great kid. We have taken him to rondyvoo camp a few times, too. I gave him a wedge tent for his High Skoo graduation and enough clothes to camp, buckskin pants, a couple shirts, etc. I always have a gun laying around for him to shoot, too. I'm now amassing parts for a gun for him. I've got a stock blank, a 36" x .62 smoothbore barrel & he can make the rest of the fittings from sheet brass. I'll buy a lock, I reckon. I'm thinking it'll be a Northwest trade gun style since we can pretty much make all the fittings out in the shop. The stock I have is a straight grained maple blank with a 3/4" round channel & rr hole drilled.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:42:51 AM »
Well done all around. I wish we had more folks of his age interested in this hobby.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »
He should be happy with the way it turned out, and you should be happy with the way he turned out.