Author Topic: 32 cal in Reedy style?  (Read 2542 times)

obsidian

32 cal in Reedy style?
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:22 PM »
Enjoy this forum very much!!  I have a question for this qualified group.  Would it cross the HC and PC line to build a 32 caliber squirrel gun in the Reedy style?  Am thinking about my next build and like the look.  Another strike against it might be that the barrel I have is a swamped Rice which would make it a very slim profile.  My grandma was a Reedy which has peaked my interest in Leonard Reedy and I grab up any info I can find about him.  Meanwhile I will migrate to the basement to finish the ramrod channel on my Fusil build.  Thanks for any thoughts on this one.
Rich

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: 32 cal in Reedy style?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »
First let me say I am not familiar with the barrel sizes of a Reedy and you don't mention whether you are going to build from scratch or using a pre or partially shaped blank. Here is what I do with my two Gillespie patterns. When I made the patterns I made them the same as the original rifles, big clunky barrels and all. I did this so I could use them for those wanting close replicas of an original. I ran into problems having so much wood to remove when I or someone else wanted to use a smaller "A" or "B" profile barrel. To solve this problem Mark Weader (my stock man) made an undersized stylus for his duplicating machine. When making a stock for a rifle intended to be used with a smaller than original barrel he uses the undersized stylus. The end result is that the whole stock is made undersized to match proportions with the undersized barrel. This works great for me. It might work well for you if you can find someone to duplicated a Reedy pattern with an undersized stylus. (before you ask, I don't think Mark has a Reedy pattern but I am not 100% sure of that).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry so much about caliber.  It becomes a matter of scale like Dennis mentioned.  I'm sure dave Keck at Knob Mountain can cut you a Reedy profile stock for your barrel.  Give him a call if you want to give it a try.  He's super to work with.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

obsidian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the comments Dennis and Bill.  Failed to mention that I have a maple blank-will be making my own pattern off of photos.  I take forever and love to piddle so I will enjoy the challenge of attempting to scale it all to the slim barrel.  I don't hear either of you discouraging a Reedy style in a small bore.  That's encouraging.  I am learning the "code of conduct" that is desired for a builder but am still sketchy at times recognizing what is frowned on and what is not in this attempt to respectfully "style after" the great Builders of the past.  Also, since I am fairly new here and just to add context, I am a hobby builder/beginner and a gun will take me a year or more-I am SLOW!
Rich