Author Topic: new touch hole  (Read 1531 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

new touch hole
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »
Well I thought I'd do a quick fix on my old .50 this afternoon and replace touch hole liner. It was getting so it would almost self prime and I like to think that might be why my scores have been low. I took a small homemade chisel and working from alternate sides it twisted right out. I had a couple white lightning liners on hand. I thought that was what I had used. Nope. Turns out I have 5/16-24 threads in there. None of my liners will fit so I guess I'll have to make one. I found a die and a piece of stainless so I'll have to get the little Sherline lathe out and make one.
 This was my first build and I tried to pattern it off an original rifle a distant relative had. Trouble was his rifle didn't have a lock or triggers so I was on my own there. I put a Siler flint kit on it and the Germanic style doesn't really fit with the southern style.
I also left WAY too much wood on the forearm. I'm thinking about going ahead and fixing it while I have it down and put some of that fore end in the kindling box. The finish needs work any way.  I am also thinking about trying to English up the lock a little.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA