Author Topic: British Infantry (Baker)Rifle scratch build NZ  (Read 4912 times)

Stuart; Maker NZ.

British Infantry (Baker)Rifle scratch build NZ
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi, I'm a new member. Am scratch building a Baker rifle - nearly finished- but need advice on the correct settup of the sling. I do not know what the sling should look like other than they were black and had a brass buckle. Anyone ever seen a real one please? Heeeelp...

Thanks.
S.

Offline JBJ

Re: British Infantry (Baker)Rifle scratch build NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
While I am sure that one of the folks on this forum may know the answer, you may want to try this forum devoted to things British militaria. Just a thought.
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/directory#.UwdLYPldX-V

J.B.
Raleigh NC

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
Welcome to ALR, hope you enjoy your stay.

Not many Baker rifles around these parts but here is a link that might help you: http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~susanlaw/ninetyfive/baker.htm
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Artificer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:30 PM »
Here is a link to what is supposed to be an original Baker Rifle Sling.  It is the only one on the Internet I’ve been able to find.  However, knowledgeable people dispute this is from as early as the link states.  The leather button on this sling is not called for in the 1802 Regulations for the Baker Rifle Sling which basically state the sling is supposed to be black, 1 ¾” wide and with a brass buckle.  
The sling in this link MAY have been a later sling (Post Napoleonic War) or may even likely have been a late Brunswick Rifle Sling – according to some of the discussions.  

http://www.ashokaarts.com/shop/rare-early-19th-century-baker-rifle-leather-sling-for-180015-pattern

All the pictures of Reenactors in various units with their slings, do not include the leather button.  Modern Reenactors are not all experts and some are far from accurate, but there seems to be almost no discussion/contention that the sling should have just one buckle and a sliding keeper, with the rear end tied around the rear sling swivel.

I am not sure if you are asking for detailed instructions on how to make the sling or not.  There does not seem to be any on the Internet.  However, if you go to the second photo set of the Enfield Rifle and Slings in this link, it shows the basic construction of British Rifle slings, though in different time periods.  The first sling under the P1853 Enfield Rifle with sling shows the construction details of making an P1850 sling, BUT it looks unchanged from a Baker Rifle Sling except it is in white and of course the length of the sling would not fit a Baker.  SPECIAL NOTE: The black sling with the button would not be correct for the Baker.  

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/14837/SniderEnfield-Sling#.UweyRumPJhh

I have no connection with the next two linked companies, whatsoever.

Here is a link to a supplier of British Military Leather goods in your country.  The Baker Rifle sling mentioned does not seem to be illustrated, but I’m sure you could contact him with questions, if you wish to purchase the sling.
http://www.nzrifle.com/vma_leatherware.htm

Here is a link to another reproduction Baker Sling, though the photo quality is not good enough to see much of the construction details of the sling.
http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=270

Making a good reproduction Baker Rifle Sling would not be extremely difficult for someone who has some leather working experience, including amateurs.  I would think finding or making an accurate copy of the buckle might be the hardest part.  

I am not sure, but are you also asking for how to mount the sling on the rifle?  If so, please reply and I can describe it for you.
Gus
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:45:27 PM by Artificer »

Stuart; Maker NZ.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
Hi Gus,
well thanks for the leads and i will follow them up. I have looked at Re enactor  sites but not found the info i really want. But i guessed it would be a black leather with a buckle- probably brass.
I have built my rifle entirely in steel and it has been built for competition shooting. So it is not entirely authentic but have had some very nice comments on it to date. I appreciate your interest.
I know an excellent leather worker so getting the item made is least of my worries. Since it seems sure that there is a buckle involved i will likely make it in steel to match the rest of the rifle.
Many thanks,
Stu.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
Just a thought, Stu.

British Military Musket slings, going back to at least the 1750's, had the MUCH more expensive Brass Buckles than the far cheaper Iron Buckles of the period.   The reason for it was so the brass buckles would not rust when the leather was sewn around it.  If you don't care whether the sling is authentic or not, then you might think about finding a nickel plated or stainless steel buckle that is close to being correct. 

You are most welcome.
Gus

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
Gus, I always thought how much of an improvement the P53 sling with double leather slides was over the eariler brass buckle version. One of the best leather carrying sling designs ever.
Psalms 144

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
Gus, I always thought how much of an improvement the P53 sling with double leather slides was over the eariler brass buckle version. One of the best leather carrying sling designs ever.

Very much agree.  Some of the earliest Brown Bess slings had only a buckle and no slide, though a leather slide was added by the French and Indian War, if not sooner.  MANY of we who reenact with the Brown Bess add a second leather keeper even though that was not the way they were issued.  Some folks use a third leather sling that will go over three thicknesses of leather to "bunch up" the sling forward of the palm swell, for better handling with bayonets affixed.  When I make Brown Bess slings, I always include two leather keepers and the folks can take one off, if they desire.  I also make loops for three thicknesses of leather for folks who want to use them.
Gus