Author Topic: Resharpening a wood rasp?  (Read 7386 times)

oldfox

Resharpening a wood rasp?
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »
I have a couple of old Kearney & Foot 14" wood rasps (coarse) that belonged to my Dad,...they date back to the 1930's.  Is there any way of resharpening these, or have they out lived there usefulness? 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Resharpening a wood rasp?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
There is a firm that uses acid etching and steam to sharpen rasps and files. Boggs Tool? I'm not sure if that's the place.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
What a mammary I have: http://www.boggstool.com/

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
Jerry, I understand that there is an acid bath you can give an old file that will 'resharpen' it, but I don't know what it is.  I know that if you take the file and stick it vertically into a fence post and leave it for one year, the rust will etch away enough of the surface steel to give the file new life.  Obviously, neither of these treatments can be done repeatedly.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

oldfox

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
 ;D Thanks Tom..

oldfox

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »
Jerry, I understand that there is an acid bath you can give an old file that will 'resharpen' it, but I don't know what it is.  I know that if you take the file and stick it vertically into a fence post and leave it for one year, the rust will etch away enough of the surface steel to give the file new life.  Obviously, neither of these treatments can be done repeatedly.

Thanks Taylor... I'll keep researching...at 75, I don't think I want to wait a year..   ;D

mattdog

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
Yep, Boggs tool sharpening is the place.  They have a website if you wish to check them out first.  I have sent many files and a set of half round rasps to them, also sent my precious set of Swiss needle files I've owned and used since the '70's.   I highly reccomend them.  Good work, very inexpensive when compared to new.  So sharp that you almost have to re-learn how to use them again.  He once told me that some craftsmen out there send new files to him before they even use them.  

oldfox

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
Yep, Boggs tool sharpening is the place.  They have a website if you wish to check them out first.  I have sent many files and a set of half round rasps to them, also sent my precious set of Swiss needle files I've owned and used since the '70's.   I highly reccomend them.  Good work, very inexpensive when compared to new.  So sharp that you almost have to re-learn how to use them again.  He once told me that some craftsmen out there send new files to him before they even use them.  

Great info!  You guys are a wealth of information!  Many thanks to all!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »
Do they give any quantity discount if a guy sent them 25-50 different files?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
    I now send all my new Brazilian made Nicholson rasp to Boggs for sharpening.  When you get them back they cut like the old USA made ones.  Their charges for their services is so low that I doubt that they give discounts.  They service a wide variety of sharpening needs, and have a quick turn around.  I recommend them highly.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

mattdog

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »
Lucky,

I also send them my dull mill end bits to sharpen.  They are almost toooo sharp when I get them back.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 01:14:55 AM »
I've been very pleased with the rasps I've had re-sharpened.  I used a company called Save Edge.  Pretty much the same as Boggs I think.  I believe they're in Southern Ohio somewhere.  I had a large number of files sharpened as well.  I'm pleased with them, though they do cut a little different than new.  Some almost seem to bite a little too well and tend to chatter a bit.  They still work fairly well and I'll have more sharpened.

BPRICHARD

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 04:26:01 AM »
I placed about 15 OLD mill files and rasps in a long plastic meat tray (from the grocery store). and poured about i/2 gal. of Heinze clear vinegar over them.  Left them in there for about 24 hours. I then took them out and soaked them in pail of Water and baking soda (to neutralize the acid).  I ended up with 15 (sharper) files that I sprayed with WD-40, to prevent further rust.  AND a 1/2 gal of very brown "vinegaroon" colored vinegar that keeps getting darker, that I am going to try as stain.    I hope you all saw the word OLD files.  Most of these were all USA made Nicholson files.      Richard

Frenchy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
I've been using Bogg's for about 20 yrs. Great stuff. Liquid honing I believe it's called. If you need a new (Brazilian) #49 Nicholson rasp, buy it from Bogg's. He sharpens them before he sells them. Also a good source for new files at good prices.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
I have resurrected files by soaking them in muriatic acid for a few hours. It cleans and etches them and the acid is cheap. You just have to keep an eye on em. Try it on a file you were going to pitch.
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
Be sure to card the teeth and de-grease before dropping the file in acid. If you don't do that, your file will have spots that will not be affected by the acid, and other sections that are.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
Just to be clear, I think most of the commercial sharpening services use a liquid abrasive sharpening process.  I think it involves an abrasive mixed with some liquid being shot at the back side of the file or rasp teeth.  The abrasive rides up over the teeth and cuts them down a bit creating a sharper corner.  The acid method, may work well too, though.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »
Jim, a little peening and burnishing effect, in other words. This would be my bet for my ever more dear rasps and rifflers.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 04:37:57 AM »
There is a firm that uses acid etching and steam to sharpen rasps and files. Boggs Tool? I'm not sure if that's the place.

The ones I acid etched were sharp, but they clog almost instantly since the etch makes the wood stick to the file then they are $#*! to clean. Waste of time and effort. This from an acid file sharping system Wolf bought while I was at Shiloh. Sounds good in theory.....
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine