Author Topic: furniture for fowlers.  (Read 8882 times)

Kenny

furniture for fowlers.
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »
I was wondering if you guys know if someone has a website or at least pictures of dutch style furniture for fowlers that you can buy

Thanks,

Kenny

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: furniture for fowlers.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »
Books are some of the best resources. Grinslade's 'Flintlock Fowlers' has a bunch of dutchey stuff in it.

Reaves Goehring sells brass for the Hudson Valley fowlers and some of that is Dutch, some English.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Kenny

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »
I have that book. I guess my question was where to get some. I have heard you guys speak of Mr. Goehring. Do you just call him?
Thanks,
Ken

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 04:08:06 AM »
Kenny, you might try knob mountain muzzleloading too at the web site of that same name.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »
Hey Kenny,
   You can call Reaves and ask him about the parts he sells.  On the Hudson Valley topic just below this there is one of his triggerguards and buttplates, both very Dutch.  The Rifle Shoppe also has some Dutch hardware, but you need their printed catalog (worth the price) in order to see photos of anything.  Best,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Kenny

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 04:49:52 AM »
Awesome, Thanks guys, I will check these out.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
I made some molds for a Dutch Fowler a couple years ago. My class used the mounts for the Dutch style Blunderbuss. I think I might have a set cast in Steel available. Let me know ifnyou have an interest.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
I got my Hudson Valley parts set from Reeves at Friendship. I don't know how else to contact him. :/

Kenny

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
Ron, Thank you, much appreciated,  but I am looking for brass.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Try looking for Reeves in Columbia,Pa. a quick search should do it.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
 Try this: Reaves Goehring.Jr RR#1,Columbia,Pa 17512
 Ph# listed is:!-717-684-2022

Bob Roller

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
The guard with the back edge recurved is Reaves #65. The HVF butt plate is Reaves #26. I know the numbers because I have the parts in front of me.

This is the same brass furniture that Keb has in his post:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:09:32 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Kenny

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Cool,  thanks guys.

I just got my fowler book(grinslade) from Gary, Thinking I want to do a fowler for my 2nd build. I noticed that all the different "style" fowlers used the dutch style furniture.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 03:18:39 AM »
There is a lot of variation, even in the Dutch styles. Western New England was on a trade route from the Hudson River(Dutch). Medad Hills, of Goshen CT. frequently used Dutch hardware on his fowlers.

I'm guessing these routes were also used to distribute whale oil, as Hudson, NY was a whaling port. I had to scratch my head at first, because Hudson is so far inland, the oil could have been unloaded in NY much sooner. But then the oil would have to be transported overland...not cost as effective as water travel.

Kenny

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 04:02:47 AM »
I saw a new England fowler pre ARW on an auction site with a dutch style TG,  French style lock and BP, gunsmith was supposedly from Kittery Maine, Maine was part of Mass then. I don't know how reliable those auctions info is???

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
Kenny, it varies.  I'd never rely solely on an auction description.  Would like to see the fowling piece in question, even after it's sold.
Andover, Vermont

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
Kenny, it varies.  I'd never rely solely on an auction description.  Would like to see the fowling piece in question, even after it's sold.

That is quite true!  Even some of the most reputable auction houses have completely mislabeled or improperly titled some fairly obvious pieces.  Smaller auction houses that don't deal with antique arms as often can really get the descriptions wrong sometimes.  It's good to have books for reference and developing an eye for different styles and regions. 

Early guns (pre 1790's ish, the date is arbitrary), tend to mix and match different furniture and styles.  Grinslade distinguishes between different regions pretty well, but you'll notice even within those regions that architecture can vary dramatically, as can the style of furniture used.  Dutch or English furniture on a New England gun is completely reasonable, even though French would be more common.  Merry Christmas!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Kenny

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »
Rich, I was just googling on the web awhile ago and found it. I remembered it because of the location, I am from maine, my dads side landed in York in the late 1600`s. tried to find it again without luck.

Eric, I see that in grinslades book. a lot of every style seems to have mismatched and or reused parts.

well, hope you guys had a good Christmas, I have a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old, PHEW, I`m glad it`s over  ;D

LaverneLindsey

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
I think you should check some vintage furniture shop for such old pattern furniture.