Author Topic: vent liner placement  (Read 4128 times)

Leon

vent liner placement
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
I am building a TOW Bivins with a Rice C weight .58 cal. barrel. When I started this kit oh a long time ago it became apparent that the lock mortise was a little to far forward. I moved the barrel and breach mortise back about 3/16ths which encroached onto the curve of the curve into the wrist so the breach and tang stood a little proud. I deepened the barrel mortise as deep as I could and continued on with the build. I am ready to drill and tap for the White Lightning vent liner but the position is still high and forward of the sunset position. A Track rep. told me that their gunsmith likes to relieve the breech plug and dish it slightly on the side of the vent. Have any of the builders on this site run into this problem and how did you correct this problem. Leon

Offline J. Talbert

Re: vent liner placement
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
What size liner are you planning on using?  I've been using 1/4" liners for years, since before there was a White Lightning liner.  I think that they perform as well as the bigger ones and don't require as much "freeboard" on the side flat.  If you were planning on a large one, the smaller one may help with your positioning issues.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:59:01 AM »
Sort of hard to advise you without knowing how much you are off.  A little high from the sunset position isn't going to hurt anything, maybe improve ignition.  a little forward might be adjusted by opening up the pan a little in that direction - if you are only off " a little".  Don't see how dishing the breech plug on that side helps anything if you are a little forward. 

Leon

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
Ok I just got back from work and read these responses. I checked my liner and it's a 3/8ths white lightning and the 1/4 inch would fit right in the middle of the pan. If you guys think that its big enough for a .58 than thats what I'll use. I hope my questions regarding this build are not to stupid for this site and I want you guys to know I appreciate all the help I can get. Leon

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
Leon, The only stupid question is the one that is not asked!!!! You will find that the people on this board are a great group of people and commonly go out of their way to help one another. Good luck on that project and ASK AWAY!!!! Ed
Ed Hamberg

roundball

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »

"...1/4 inch would fit right in the middle of the pan. If you guys think that its big enough for a .58 than thats what I'll use..."
FWIW, every ML I own has a 1/4" x 28 vent liner... .40/.45/.50/.54/.58/.62 cals

Offline Benedict

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
I used 1/4 in Ampco liners on quite a few guns and never had any problems.  I think that the White Lightning liners MAY be a little faster but it is difficult to say.  I resisted using the White Lightning Liners because they were so big.  I wish they were available in 1/4.

Bruce

After I posted this the first time, I found out they ARE available in 1/4.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:39:08 PM by Benedict »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
They are!!  I've used a number of them.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell