Author Topic: Snow is finally leaving us  (Read 4368 times)

Daryl

Snow is finally leaving us
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
This was taken yesterday on the trail - quite a change from 2 weeks ago on the main range - which is now almost clear, as-is our trail.

Last weekend, same spot of the trail.

Week before - on the main range.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:57:01 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Snow is finally leaving us
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:12 PM »
It is often said: 'This to shall pass'!

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »
There are times when I miss living up north--but not in the Winter.  Spring has been here for weeks now, all is green and fresh, dotted with flower colors, warmed by a southern sun and watered with cooling rains.  OK, so a tornado almost got us a week ago [made a mess very close by].  Nothing is perfect.... ;)...I can often take my pirogue out on the lake in mid-winter wearing just a light jacket and catch a mess of crappie or bass.  Downside is it is almost too hot to deer hunt in the Fall.  When I left PA, someone asked where I was going, and I said, holding a snow shovel, south until someone asks ,"What is that?"   Here I is... ;D

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:04:07 AM »
It is often said: 'This to shall pass'!

Yep,

And yesterday, Sunday, it was 90 degrees near you in Lehigh Gorge!!!

E. Ogre

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »
90 :o :o :o :o that's already too hot for this child.

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
NOW I remember why I can't move back to P.G. Daryl!  Winter lasts too bloody long!  We lived there from June through October in 1974 & I loved it... mind you when I was 24 the winter wouldn't have bothered me at all either!  Guess I'm stuck here!  We were considering retiring to California (wife has dual citizenship), but with their idiotic lead ban, that's not going to float my boat!  I think Doug has the right idea, Vancouver Island!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
90 :o :o :o :o that's already too hot for this child.

Hi Daryl
Remember my "Banana Belt" comment?
I can ASSURE you I will NEVER mention this in Canada again ;D
While there is no build up lasting more than a day or two we had about a foot 2-3 days ago and its snowing again now.
When the mud dries  >:( I will try calling coyotes again.
Darned global warming.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
Dan- did you kick up that deer call? When coyotes become used to sqeeling cottontails. the fawn bleet light work. Might even luck out and call in some wolves. 8)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:09:06 AM »
I think I already did call up "something else". I just caught a glimpse of it as it disappeared at high speed 600+ yards out. Coyotes ain't black. Had it not been downwind I might have gotten a better look, but I think its nose found us before I saw it.
There was a black one killing sheep about 20 miles SE of this location. Don't know if they got it killed or not.

I have a battery powered gismo with a whole range of different things on it. Think I have 16 variations on little plug in modules.
Its old school now, new ones are wireless.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
Yes - saw some of the electronic calls- small, too - usually the ones with rabbits and hares, also have fawns, etc.  The mouth-blown hare calls worked here incredibly well, while the cotton tail squeelers don't. The hare sounds more like a fawn, throatier than the higher yet squeeling of a cottontail.

Coyotes around here know we don't have cottontails, I guess.  It is now legal here to use the electronics to call wolves and coyotes. Wolves & coyotes are very good at circling to catch the 'wind' on the sound before coming it - similar to younger bull moose during the rut - who will somtimes circle - keeps you moving to intercept them - fun hunting.