Author Topic: trigger bar/sear clearance  (Read 3689 times)

Offline dave gross

trigger bar/sear clearance
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »
What do the experts here usually do as regards the clearance between the bar of a single trigger and the lock sear?  My current project has a nice single trigger but the very slight trigger bar clearance results in that annoying slight but noticeable rattle at half and full cock.  Is stock swelling from humidity likely to reduce the clearance to the point where the sear pre-load become a safety concern?  I am considering making a very, very light spring from music wire to preload the trigger against the sear thus removing the gap.  What do you think?

Dave Gross
Way down in east in Maine

Offline Longknife

Re: trigger bar/sear clearance
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
That is what I would do, its very easy to do and not much tension is needed at all....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »
 I like to put a small screw in the trigger plate to adjust out the free play.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:27 AM »
The rattle doesn't bother me. If the trigger rattles a bit, then I know that the sear is fully engaged. If it doesn't rattle, I'm not sure. Set triggers come with a takeup spring, but I never thought a single trigger needed one. Again, it just doesn't bother me.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
I like the idea of the thin wire spring. I have seen some original examples of english pieces with this modification. It will solve your rattle troubles with out a doubt.
Dave Blaisdell

northmn

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
I have straightened out ball point pin springs and used those for trigger springs.  Some old doubles had them and they eliminate a whole lot of unneeded final fitting. 

DP