Author Topic: Cherry stocked 28ga.  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Cherry stocked 28ga.
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
I am just putting the finishing touches on this little gun today. It has a 47 3/8" octagon to round .55 caliber smooth bore Salvo barrel, Chambers Early Ketland lock and the rest is shop made. I outsourced the barrel channel & ramrod hole. That saved me a lot of time. I started this last Sunday hoping to get it done before leaving for the black hills in S. Toyota. It sports a 13 1/2" trigger pull and tips the scale at 7 1/4 lbs. Tapered hickory ramrod with a steel tip (10-32) on the end that goes in the stock. It has a bit of a knot in the butt. It happens.
Anyone see anything I did or am doing wrong?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:36:41 PM by Keb »

Offline T*O*F

Re: Cherry stocked 28ga.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
Anyone see anything I did or am doing wrong?
In my opinion, the sideplate looks weird.  I would either inlet it flat or bevel the edges if left proud.
Also, the engraving looks almost scratched in.  Do you know how to roll your graver into a cut to give it more of a brightcut effect.  This gives it more depth and definition.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
Ken, on a trade gun the side plate should be inlet flush.  Did you make your own square nails for the but plate?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:21 AM »
Don't be too hard on yourself, the originals were often done crudely, so it works.  I for one applaud the fact you went ahead and engraved the sideplate, they don't look right without it.  Also I forgot to mention previously I like the character the knot adds to the gun!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
 The stark simplicity of this piece has a strong appeal to me and I say
 it's a job well done and something to be proud of.

Bob Roller