Author Topic: How big are wooden patchbox lids?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
How big are wooden patchbox lids?
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
I had planed to make a two piece wooden patchbox lid for the Beck style rifle I'm building.
The largest matching maple scrap I have is 1.4" wide and 0.4 thick. Is this big enough ?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: How big are wooden patchbox lids?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
I have found a one piece lid to be WAY easier than two pieces, BUT, you obviously don't have a piece of wood thick enough, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The piece of wood you have is plenty big for a box lid if you're careful.   ;)  Usually, I make mine about an inch and a half wide at the rear end, but that's with a great big early gun.  You should be fine with what you have.

Just draw it out on the side of the stock with a pencil and see what it looks like!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »
Rolf,  Below you will find an actual J P Beck wooden patch box lid. It is 5 1/8" at its longest point; 1 9/16" at its widest point and 9/16" tall.  Dimensions are in inches

Hope these help with your project.  Regards,  HIB

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:22:39 AM »
Just look for a maple scrap and tinker with stains.....I think they never match perfectly anyhow....
Marc