Author Topic: Making a Frizzen Spring  (Read 10869 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Making a Frizzen Spring
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 04:05:24 AM »
Rich. In the case of a non firing replica I can understand it but can't we all agree that it should be made clear that welding barrels is only for guns that will never be fired. They should be made incapable of firing. If I did any welding on a barrel it would be to weld up the bore. Breach plugs that are threaded in and then welded on Black powder guns only would probably be OK but I can't see any need to do so.
   By the way.  The definition of an alternate method is a method that achieves the same results. Welded springs are not equal to forged or cast springs. They are very inferior. Thy do not look the same and they do not perform the same. How would you like to buy a $5000.00 gun with a welded main spring.
 Personally I am only interested in producing the highest quality.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
  Now we are down to welding barrels. Do you solder brass cases up also? Welding a spring is incorrect and unreliable. Welding a barrel is insanely dangerous.  It seems to me that this web sight might  could have some legal problems if such things as welding barrels is allowed to be posted. I can't believe this stuff. Where are the sane members on this. Dan Phariss, Race, Bob roller, somebody straighten these guys out. Surely you guys are joking --Right??

Welding a barrel then reaming so it can be fired is not a good idea for a number of reasons.
However.
Low pressure barrels can be welded to restore the length then lined with a modern barrel steel liner without any problem either cartridge or ML. The liner will carry the load. Lining should never be done for high pressure loadings.  In calibers like 38-55 or one of the larger Sharps calibers the liners are large enough to allow chambering and enough wall for safety. This can be used to make a hacked up gun into something more desirable or even usable. Like when a Sharps that used to weigh 16 pounds has been shortened to carbine length to reduce the weight. It can be restored with a piece of steel welded using a mandrel to align the bores. The added piece is machined to match then the bore is enlarged to match the liner the liner installed and the liner chambered. With the pressures involved the rifle is now a shooter. I looks like it should has a decent sight radius and the rifling in the liner makes it obvious the barrel is a rework so there is no fraud.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »
 Looks like the main topic has been covered so the thread is being locked.

Tim C.