Author Topic: HC, info for the record.  (Read 21333 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: HC, info for the record.
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6321.0

I owned this Henry Spitzer rifle at one time. It's in original flint condition, and has a steel bushing in the touch hole. As I remember, the bushing was about 1/8" in diameter, maybe a bit larger, and looked like it was screwed into the original hole. And no, this wasn't signs of a percussion drum as the size was way too small.

I should have kept that gun!  :'(

John   
John Robbins

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
A touch hole from an American rifle, estimated 1770-80. The hole shows very little wear. If I had access to this now, I'd see if it was coned on the inside. There appears to be no liner, no bushing.

Does iron erode less than steel? It corrodes less.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
 There are three and possible four rifles in RCA that show either a liner or a bushing.
 Most of the photos don't show the touch hole.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
I wish there was more documentation on this subject.

BTW, my inclusion of an unlined touchhole is but one example. It does not speak for the whole.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »
The idea behind all those American rifles with the staples under the cheek - a good number w/ a feather quill there, old or newer - is that this was shoved in the vent prior to loading to keep it open, then withdrawn and pan primed.  Functional, effective, works well with a fairly large honkin' straight drilled vent.

Nevertheless, an internal cone, regardless of how executed (liner or internal coning tool) is very definitely faster in daily practice.

I do think large brass, nickel, or whatever, liners look hideous on American guns, however.  But, plain steel can be blended-in quite well.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Habu

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
Does iron erode less than steel? It corrodes less.

My experience--both shooting originals and some experiments with wrought iron touch hole lines on a Bess--has been that straight touch holes in iron do erode/enlarge more rapidly than they would in similar barrels made of modern steels.