Author Topic: Frank Bartlett Stock Blank and Getz Barrel  (Read 11356 times)

SteveMKentucky

Frank Bartlett Stock Blank and Getz Barrel
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:18:32 AM »
I just bought a stock blank and Getz barrel from what was indicated to be the estate of Frank Bartlett of Gallatin, Tennessee.  The barrel is inletted into the stock blank and the ramrod hole is bored.  The barrel is a swamped .58 Jaeger barrel.

Is anyone familiar with Mr. Bartlett or possibly this stock blank? I do know that he was a very skilled builder and have seen some of his work.   I'm also curious as to the value of the Getz barrel.  I've always heard that they are a premium barrel, but never had one myself.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:19:58 AM by SteveMKentucky »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Frank Bartlett Stock Blank and Getz Barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:23:39 AM »
 I knew Frank Bartlett for years and he was a superb rifle maker.
 His wire inlay would rank with the best working today.
 Call Getz about the barrel,I'll bet thay know what it's worth.

Bob Roller

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »
Bob, thanks for the reply.  Did Frank pass away?  I looked for an obit but didn't find one.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
StevenMKentucky,
Frank Bartlett passed away about 7 years ago from the scourge of humanity,cancer.
Anyone who has one of his rifles now has a treasure.Frank was a real builder that
knew his trade.
Bob Roller

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:43:44 AM »
Thanks Bob.  I guess this makes the blank and barrel that I have particularly special.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »
Frank made a great rifle especially the ones that he decorated with silver wire inlays.  Dixie Gun Works did have one of his highly decorated rifles for sale in their contemporary longrifle section, if it is still owned by them, you can pull up photographs of Frank's work.
                                                                                      Roger Sells

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
Frank was a friend and mentor. The blank you have is probably from Freddy Harrison, unfortunatey Freddy has passed on also. If you are a skilled builder then you have the means to have a very nice rifle. If you are not and want to sell the barrel and blank I will give you a fair price for both.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Habu

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
Bama,

I don't think the blank I have came from Freddie.  I have a blank that I bought from Freddie's Son-in-law (pictured below).  I looked through everything that's left and didn't see anything like the Bartlett blank.  I'll try to get a picture of the Bartlett blank this morning and post.

Habu, thanks for the link.  I've seen a few pictures of his rifles.  Very impressive work indeed.

Steve

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of the Bartlett blank:

I'm a little concerned about the position of the barrel in the stock.  I'm not sure if Mr. Bartlett intended for this to be a left-hand gun or not, but the barrel is inletted to the right of the stock.  This picture doesn't show it well but the centerline of the barrel projected back to the butt area leaves no room for any right-hand cast-out.  I haven't laid out a pattern over the top of the stock but there will be little room on the right side for a jaeger it seems.

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
While it doesn't leave room for any castoff, it does leave room for a cheek piece.   
Brice Stultz

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Steve, if you decide you want to sell this, please advertise it with price in the 'For Sale' section.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
And if you want to sell the BMW, give me a shout!  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
I don't plan to sell either right now but will post if I do.

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Good morning Steve

You are correct that does not look like Freddy's wood. Frank always had a knack for finding good wood as is evidenced by your photo.

I also see from your photo's that it looks like you are been around rifle building for awhile and you probably have the  skills to make that build into a nice rifle. I hope you did not take offence to my earlier comment.

I had bought some of Franks barrel and stocks over the years. I also got to spend some time with him in his shop so I am a little partial to anything that Frank had a hand in.

I wish you well in your build.
Jim Parker

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
I'm left handed and used to dealing with such things, just saying! ::) you know if you ever...........
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Vomitus

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »
   The Beemer, Earles type front suspension,featherbed rear....hmm.Is that a one lung five hundred? What year? I had a '72,the "new" engine,cylinders were built a little higher in the cases. Mine was an R75/5.  Cool bike,same with Bartlett project.

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
Bama,

Certainly no offense taken.  My main intent was to see if anyone remembered this particular blank.  I knew it was a long-shot, but you never know.  This isn't my first build and I think I have the skills to build something decent from it but I know that I won't build anything like Mr. Bartlett would have built.  I aspire to that level but am certainly not there yet.

I'm still not sure what the origin of the wood is but pretty confident it's not from Freddie Harrison.  I think it's European Walnut, but don't know.

I have two other projects in line before I start the Harrison blank so maybe I'll do a bit better job on it.  When I start it I'll likely post progress.

Leatherbelly,

The bike is a BMW R27 250cc single.  It shares the garage with nine other bikes of which three are BMW's.  Motorcycles and beer brewing are my other passions; but those are other stories.

:)

Steve

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 07:51:49 PM »
Steve I thought that looked like a Bastogne stock personally. Regardless it is a nice piece of wood, as I said Mr. Frank knew his wood. It will make a beautiful rifle, I will look forward to seeing progress pictures when you start the project.

Just one thought on the project as a jesture to Mr. Frank and this would be totally up to you but it would be nice to see one of his black and white german stars on the cheek piece. If you decide to go that route I can get pictures of his stars for you.

Good luck and enjoy Hershel's class.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:57:58 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 08:16:57 PM »
Steve there isn't any way to know for sure but I'm fairly certain the walnut stock you have is a blank that Frank bought from the late Slim Swenson, Redding CA. Frank and I both bought wood from Slim. Looks an a lot like Slims wood. Tim

sidreilley

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
A few years ago I bought some blanks of claro out of California that look very similar, even down to the varnish on one side. Don't remember the seller though.

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Bama,  I was thinking the same thing.  I've hunted down some pictures of Mr. Bartlett's guns and saw the black and white star.  I think that would be a fine tribute.

Tim and Sid, Thanks for the comments.  I'm think your exactly right on the source of the blank.