Author Topic: LONGRIFLE & ACCOUTREMENT PRICES?  (Read 14469 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: LONGRIFLE & ACCOUTREMENT PRICES?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »
Hey Long Hunters- i have enjoyed everyones opinions as in hard economic times anything free is nice so keep them coming. Another thought for falling prices- a friend of mine that deals with top rare Firearms dealer Peter Finer said recently in New York Peter told him that sales were way down and he was selling great guns at unbelievable prices- that the buyers just are not there. Today on CNN Home values in 2008 dropped 1.4 trillion in Value in the year.  I think there will be many people who can't afford the big items. This Recession will eventually hit every one out there. As for it not bothering the high end Art - all catagories are going to feel the pressure. I believe it will force a lot of people to re think pricing. Another thought from the Great Pinyone.

Its called a periodic adjustment. Houses were selling for far more than they were worth. How bad the adjustment will be will largely depend on how much gov't meddling takes place. The mortgage crisis was the result of long term gov't meddling in mortgage banks. If they screw around and raise business taxes (ala FDR) it could drag out for 10 years or more.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Mike R

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »
When the economy is bad and interst rates low and the stock market falling, things like high art still sell because they are good long term investments.  People buy gold and diamonds and art, etc as investments as well as just for pride of ownership or "art appreciation".  I agree that the more modest builders will suffer in a downturn as will most of us "commoners".  When prices are plummetting it is tough to "jump in" to buying anything--it takes faith and deep pockets.  My brother is getting killed out in Calif--he's broke and trying to sell a million+ dollar house whose worth plummets more each day--who wants to place a contract offer when in days he'll lose his shirt on it?  High art is less subject to the market [although it is to a degree].  Every day we hear of record prices being paid for art.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
Boy if I won that House rifle and someone offered me 60k for it I'd gladly let her go.
$#*!, I'd let it go for 1/2 that amount. No offense to the House boys.... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
I have a few thoughts about prices of longrifles.

Many times at shows you will see a very nice carved rifle, good parts, nicely put together, for $1000 or a little more.

You know that you cannot make a living at this kind of price. This is often made by someone who loves to build, and will sell his wares just to be able to afford new parts for the next gun.

But these guns often set the market price in the mind of the buyer. At this rate, I should be able to get an A Martin or an EK for $1200 to $1500.

Once a person gains an appreciation of what goes into this kind of art, there is is seldom quibbling over price. It is what it is. Whether one can afford it or not is an entirely different matter.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

PINYONE

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
After reading Accers reply- it makes me think thta people will be keeping what they have for a long time instead of looking for new items, I think back to what ole friend Forrest Tilton told me one day, he had the largest collection of Ohio Rifles in the country. I asked him how he started collecting rifles and he said- when i was a boy about 6 years old the Great Depression was full on, he lived in Ohio= and he said a friend of his father came to the house in a wagon and said there is a farm sale down the road- we got in and went. He said when we were pulling up I notices 4 silver inlayed rifles standing on the porch, great curly maple. Said when the Auctioneer came to the guns My Daddy was standing there and and they were trying to get .10 cents apiece for them, I shook his leg to buy one and he looked down and said I don't have a dime. Ole Tilton said he cried, So later on he ended up with over 300. Think of that 10 cents. T J Cooper recorded in his book he was buying them for .25 piece. The Great Pinyone
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:48:37 PM by PINYONE »

Mike R

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
I have a few thoughts about prices of longrifles.

Many times at shows you will see a very nice carved rifle, good parts, nicely put together, for $1000 or a little more.

You know that you cannot make a living at this kind of price. This is often made by someone who loves to build, and will sell his wares just to be able to afford new parts for the next gun.

But these guns often set the market price in the mind of the buyer. At this rate, I should be able to get an A Martin or an EK for $1200 to $1500.

Once a person gains an appreciation of what goes into this kind of art, there is is seldom quibbling over price. It is what it is. Whether one can afford it or not is an entirely different matter.

that is exactly right.  and that is what spoiled me early on--I could make a rifle for myself for a few hundred bucks and some "fun time" in the shop.  then I met a fellow who just loved to build and sold his guns for a song +parts--ruined me--I could not face the reality of several thousand dollar guns.  Years ago I was into fine doubles [from afar, could not afford them, though I picked up a nice 1921 LC Smith]--at a gunshow I saw a fine Parker the man wanted $4000 for --I said I'd be afraid to use a gun that cost that much--he said, "If you were married to Marilyn Monroe would you sleep with her?"  'nuff said....

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
Everyone had been weighing in on building guns to this point, all good valid points, Id like to weigh in on accoutrements, when I get a horn from either a supplier, (already clean and ready to start to work on) or a raw horn, it takes several hours to work that horn by hand with all the turningsm carving, base plug, etc. not to mention the hors involved if its engraved, at a price of $150.00 to $175.00 for a nicley built engraved horn is a bargain compared to what alot of other horners ask for their work, can I get more, maybe, but I want to sell me horns not sit on them for a year or more before its gone, same thing with the leather work I do, how much is an all hand sewn pouch to your design of quality leather worth?, average quality hide starts at $80.00 plus the time to design and punch and sew, can you get a bag cheaper than $150.00, sure if you want to have one from October Country or the Leatherman (nothing wrong with these bags, well made with quality materials), but wear it to a shoot and look like 50% of most of the shooters wearing the same thing, quality hand made products take time and skill, and most of us are lucky to keep the lights on in the shop, my prices will stay the same, amybe even go up if the cost of materials increases.