Author Topic: breech plug  (Read 5457 times)

scott

breech plug
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »
I'm about to inlet the breech plug on a new rifle.I always seem to have trouble getting a nice tight fit.Any suggestions would be appreciated.thanks in advance
   scott

Tony Clark

Re: breech plug
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
About the first thing I do is take a hacksaw and cut a bunch of it off, so it looks something like the photo below. Having it tapered to the rear also reduces the likelihood of taking a chip out when removing the barrel. No use inletting any more than you have to either. Many originals I have examined have the same treatment. The barrel in the picture is from #42 RCA. Regards, TC

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:21:30 PM by Tony Clark »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
It's mighty hard to inlet a straight sided lug and get a tight fit.  So, Viewed from the rear, the tang is filed to the barrel flat width and the lug below is sawed or filed into a flat bottomed "V" shape.  Draft is filed into the tang sides and rear.  Much better inleting now..............................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

roundball

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »

Unless its just the photo, that sure is a tiny vent...

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Scott, The one thing I would add in addition to what folks have already told you, including the detailed description of the process Rich gave you when you posted this question last week, is that when it comes to putting a slight draft on all of the parts that get inlet, don't overdo it. The more draft you put on it the more difficult the job becomes. More is not better you need just s very slight amount. Roundball, the vent size looks about right to me. Maybe its just because I examined it in person so I know its the correct size. Regards, TC

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »
thanks for the responses.I had thought I posted that question but for some reason I couldn't find it as being posted. I thought i was going crazy.thanks again.
      scott

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:47:48 AM »
Is the 42 vent coned on the inside?

I like the notch for the lock bolt, as a hole causes the breech wood to crack if someone forgets to take the lockbolt out first.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Tony Clark

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
Is the 42 vent coned on the inside?

I like the notch for the lock bolt, as a hole causes the breech wood to crack if someone forgets to take the lockbolt out first.

Acer, I don't know if it has an internal cone or not. Unbreeching the barrel is about the only thing Wallace didn't do at the 2007 WKU seminar.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »

Unless its just the photo, that sure is a tiny vent...
Ok, I'll be the wiseguy and ask- How big U like 'em ??? ;) ;D

A #51 drill bout right!   5/64 th gettin close to losing 2 f to the outside - 3/32 time to replace the thingee! As an aside pick the vent as little as possible and do not use a roughened pick for obvious reasons.    ::)

Tony Clark

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
Hey Roger, Yes #51 or there abouts. Another thing about the breech I showed in my pic,,, just my personal opinion but it took me about 2seconds when I first saw it to decide that its rebushed. Not because it isn't greatly enlarged or anything, it just looks like there is a bushing in there to me. Not something I've ever heard anyone else mention, and I sure don't want anyone to think I'm trying to degrade the gun in any way, or if that even would... just my opinion. Regards, TC
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:20:34 PM by Tony Clark »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
On first impression, I too thought it had a bushing.  May just be the light or the photo...........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......