Author Topic: Breech wall thickness  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Ezra

Breech wall thickness
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
Guys,

Is there a general consensus regarding minimum breech wall thickness on currently made barrels?  I know there are different types of steel used, but is there a kind of accepted rule of thumb?  Specifically for a rifle.

Thanks.

Ez
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:53:20 PM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Breech wall thickness
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
I don't think there is anything published, to my knowledge.

Original thin walled fowler barrels usually have very heavy breech sections. Rifles were generally pretty stout-walled, too. This may have been because the metallurgy was not as good as it is today. While there may not have been a lot of rocket science behind barrel design, the was a lot of proof testing and documentation.

You're also not going to get someone on the ALR recommend a minimum wall thickness. Too many unknowns, and too much liability.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Yes Acer, you are probably right.  Besides, someone was kind enough to send me some common sense guidelines to go by via PM.  I will not go smaller than any current barrel-maker will with the specific steel they use.   Better to err on the side of safety always.  

Ez
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:15:43 PM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:54:03 PM »
Look at the dimensions for the lightest currently made barrels...the thinnest contour with the biggest bore.  That will give you a rough idea of what the professionals are comfortable sending out the door to be loaded by the general public with who knows what kind of charge.

galamb

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:51:16 AM »
Most of the barrel makers will make a 45 cal with a 13/16" barrel.

If you allow for the rifling, say .012 per side, plus the "hole" (.45) that would leave =

(13/16) .8125 - .45 = .3625" - .024" = .3385"/2 for a wall thickness of .16925 (without any dovetails cut etc).

A 7/8" (.875), 50 cal, with .016 rifling likewise would be .875 - .532 = .343/2 for a wall thickness of .1715"

So it "would seem" that the current (commercial) BP barrel makers will not go thinner than .170'ish inches for a wall thickness.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:05:52 AM »
This isn't directly related to your question, but Don Getz told me once that in designing barrels,  they assume a dovetail slot depth of .040".   That is probably a more important number to keep in your head as a gun builder.    I have process for hand cutting dovetail slots that normally produces a slot of .040".   I was chiseling a little low on the last barrel I worked on and ended up with slots uniformly .045" deep.   It , of course, was an A weight barrel.  I never go deep on heavy barrel.   ;)

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:42:06 PM »
On thin walled barrels like the .50 cal at 7/8'' and .45 cal at 13/16th those walls
don't offer much support  for a threaded percussion drum ,best to concider them suitable for flint only . Others have suggested that a patent breech might be OK if you wanted a percussion gun . I took that advice .Better safe than sorry.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:14:41 AM by stuart cee dub »