Author Topic: what barrel cal. or type to use w/Ketland lock??  (Read 4979 times)

ghchristian

what barrel cal. or type to use w/Ketland lock??
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
I have a few real nice curly maple stocks and some nice cherry stocks on hand and I have this Chambers Late Ketland flintlock I want to use. I build mostly smooth bores with large siler or queen anne locks. I was thinking this lock should be used with a rifled barrel. Just wanted some opinions of what caliber and style of rifle some of you would use with this style of lock?

galudwig

Re: what barrel cal. or type to use w/Ketland lock??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
JMO, but I think it would be perfect for a small caliber Southern, Southern Mountain, Tennessee rifle; .32 - .45, w/iron mounts (of course)! ;)

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
If your tired of looking at all that plunder...send it to me and tomtom.... ;D

basically, any post 1820 wold be nice...and a MTN rifle would be perfect, OR a kentucky hill rifle.....that's next on my list, and i will be using same lock......

marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
I have a few real nice curly maple stocks and some nice cherry stocks on hand and I have this Chambers Late Ketland flintlock I want to use. I build mostly smooth bores with large siler or queen anne locks. I was thinking this lock should be used with a rifled barrel. Just wanted some opinions of what caliber and style of rifle some of you would use with this style of lock?

I have always wanted to build a quick handling upland game Fowler using the Chambers Late Ketland. I have built 3 Fowlers in the last couple of years and all had those big early locks that, after being used to shooting rifles with the Late Ketland, seem to take forever to fire! One of these days I am going to get around to building one. With the new lock design that Jim just completed I can't wait to see how fast it is now. The older design was far faster than anything else I have used except possibly a small Manton when its tuned right.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:52:41 AM »
I put one on a small caliber Valley of Virginia gun. Works well except for the frizzen bounce which breaks off the front half of some flints.

galamb

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:14:44 AM »
There is probably no reason you couldn't put it on something upwards of 54 cal.

But it certainly would "be at home" on a nice Maryland or Virginia rifle - 36, 38, 40, 42 or 45 cal would be "typical" of the period the lock represents (at least in those two areas).

Pair it up with a Rice Southern Classic and you would have a pretty sweet rifle (I think that lock and barrel are "just meant to be together") :)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:42:22 AM »
Some York County, PA rifles, also Lauck, Sheetz, maybe Haymaker from the Winchester School, also some Augusta and Rockbridge School rifles...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:25:29 AM »
I don't have a late Ketland at my shop right now, but I'd say it was a medium sized lock. If you try to put this on a too large diam barrel, the pan ends up too low on the barrel.

It would be a handy reference chart to know suitable barrel sizes for every lock.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:49:27 AM »
Most builders I have talked to like the Ketland on Southern small bores.specially the Early Chambers Ketland.been told it is a very fast lock.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:57:47 AM »
SMR long and slim out to .50 cal swamped, .40 .45 better.  Hand forged trim NICE walnut,  Southern set tgr.  more curve on back one & curl on front, much diff. than Yankee guns. 2 cents from a Tennessee boy   ...Tom

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:26:28 AM »
I put one on a .40 caliber 13/16" straight octagon smooth bored rifle and it was amazing. It was perfect with that size barrel and the ignition was faster than any lock I have ever shot. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
Mine is a Bob Roller Ketland and is going onto and A-wt .40x44" TN. 

Then a Manton on an A-30x46,  and a Durs Egg on a B-45x44.  TN rifle calls for English locks i'm told. 

Hold to the Wind