Author Topic: Question about breech plugs  (Read 3581 times)

andy49

Question about breech plugs
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »
I am fitting the breech on a pistol. Is it a good idea to put some type of anti size on the breech plug threads or is this necessary?
Also I am thinking of cupping the breech face as Bill Kennedy did. Any opinion on this?
The breech is 5/8 x 5/8 18.
Thanks!
Andy

galamb

Re: Question about breech plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:58:21 AM »
Since you typically install and remove the plug at least a couple of times in the building process it is imperative that you put some kind of (lube) on the plug threads to prevent galling/tearing the threads out.

I personally use anti-seize with nickel but many products can be used.

Can't help with shaping the plug face. I only build with patent breeches, so no experience at all with "flat faced" plugs.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »
I once had a problem with anti-seize keeping the barrel/tang from browning, as the anti kept weeping out of the joint.

I don't believe you need anything more than a little oil or grease, and use it sparingly.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »
Auto parts stores sell it in little packets for spark plug threads.....on little packet has lasted me years...
Marc

ken

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:16 AM »
I was taught to oil the breech plug even in the installing phase . I believe a light oil is all that is needed even at final assembly     ken

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:47:11 AM »
I once had a problem with anti-seize keeping the barrel/tang from browning, as the anti kept weeping out of the joint.

I don't believe you need anything more than a little oil or grease, and use it sparingly.

Had that happen with the Lancaster build, it kept coming out. I heated the breech / barrel area with a propane torch, not too hot though. It finally got down to almost nothing coming out so I began the browning process over. The plug came out fine when I took it out about two weeks ago to see how things were getting along in there after all the shooting and cleaning cycles I've gone though.

Next time its just a touch of oil and use the anti-seize the last time I put the plug in.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
Blue Loctite. Seals the threads, keeps it in place. A propane torch to warm it up and it screws out with ease........

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
I always remove the plug prior to browning/bluing, and finish them separately from the barrel.  That way, the colour is homogenous and no weeping of grease to spoil the joint.  And I use a moly grease to ease the plug into it's recess.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

andy49

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:10:16 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I forgot about the finish and plan to blue separate from the barrel.
Andy