Author Topic: One of a kind casting  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
One of a kind casting
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
The last time I was at Dixon's there was a man there that did brass casting. As well as I remember he did one of a kind, not sure if only for himself or for others. I have no idea if he still attends or if he still does this.

I have a friend that is interested in having a single casting made, he has/will have the master. Would appreciate any information.
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: One of a kind casting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
There was a guy a couple of years ago in the tent just in front of the store. I don't remember his name, but I do remember him adding pennies to the crucible to up the zinc content.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:28 AM »
There was a guy a couple of years ago in the tent just in front of the store. I don't remember his name, but I do remember him adding pennies to the crucible to up the zinc content.

....and here I was thinking a penny was not good for anything any more.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:46:41 AM »
... I believe that is a crime, throwing pennies into the crucible.  8)
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:13:27 AM »
I think Mark Elliot mentioned once that he was getting setup to do castings.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:01 AM »
Dennis,

I get one of a kind brass castings done at:

18th Century Hardware
Phone: (724) 694-2708
Address: 131 E. Third St., Derry, PA 15627
E-mail: 18thcenturyhardware@gmail.com

The brass used in their castings seems to be good & ductile yellow brass.  They are able to make the castings without splitting the master into two sections, although I don't know how they do this.  They can cast from a wooden pattern or from an original.  I coat an original part with 5 minute epoxy to both protect the patina surface from damage and to give extra metal for shrinkage and the loss due to polishing.

Jim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:25:26 AM »
I coat an original part with 5 minute epoxy to both protect the patina surface from damage and to give extra metal for shrinkage and the loss due to polishing.
Neat idea James, I assume you remove the epoxy by heating? or?
Thanks to all for their input.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »
Dennis,

I use this method to make a copy of specific brass parts, almost always for museums who wish to copy an artifact in their collection.  After casting the epoxy is removed with acetone, this leaves the artifact surface undamaged.

Jim

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 05:57:41 AM »
I love this idea...I had no idea about acetone.

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »
Dennis,

I get one of a kind brass castings done at:

18th Century Hardware
Phone: (724) 694-2708
Address: 131 E. Third St., Derry, PA 15627
E-mail: 18thcenturyhardware@gmail.com

The brass used in their castings seems to be good & ductile yellow brass.  They are able to make the castings without splitting the master into two sections, although I don't know how they do this.  They can cast from a wooden pattern or from an original.  I coat an original part with 5 minute epoxy to both protect the patina surface from damage and to give extra metal for shrinkage and the loss due to polishing.

Jim

In your experience, (and you may not be able to answer this), what sort of price are we looking at for a small lot of trigger guards or but plates?  Say 6 of each?  Just curious.  I was paying about $13 per trigger guard and about $15 for a buttplate here locally, from my own wooden masters.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
Ryan,

It has been a while since I had castings made, but I am sure that I am paying at least double this price.  I am very happy to be able to get castings done locally, but to get them done at such a good price would be wonderful.  Maybe I will come to Tennessee the next time!  The last batch of castings I had made were several sight vanes for 18th - 19th C. surveyors compass transits, not gun parts, but small brass castings like a very squared buttplate. 

Check out the topic "looking for tips on making masters for sand castings".  I posted several photos of the cast parts, the wood patterns, and the original artifacts.

Jim

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
Thanks.  I will say the quality is poor which offsets the price...tons of extra brass and massive parting lines and sand that just eats your files for breakfast, so it's a wash.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
Dennis,

How big a part and how soon does he need it?   I have been putting together the stuff I need to start casting.   The problem is that I can't melt more than a couple pounds of brass at a time until I build a melter for a larger crucible.   If it is a small part and can wait a few weeks,  I will do it for the price of a tank of propane.    Some scrap brass would also be appreciated.   It will give me an excuse to get everything setup and do a test.