Author Topic: Changing the breech plug on a traditions/Jukar kit rifle  (Read 4154 times)

docone

Changing the breech plug on a traditions/Jukar kit rifle
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »
I know there has to be someone who has swapped out the breechplug, with a different breech plug.
It was given to me, unfired, and unassembled. The barrrel is an old Douglas 33 1/2 .45 cal.
The stock is going to be firewood, and I am a south paw. I want to move the percussion drum to the left side and use the Flint/plains breech plug combination. I have enough barrel to play with so I can cut off the last inch.
I plan on making an half stock, riveted underrib, possibly back action rifle. I am 6'6" so LOP is going to be at least 13.5".
Any tales to tell on this would be appreciated.
I already did one for my wife. She is a righty so I used the original breech plug. It is in a full stock, cut for her.
She likes it. That one I did in Dimmick style.
Folks at the range here, go hmmm. They like.
Very accurate for her.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Re: Changing the breech plug on a traditions/Jukar kit rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Not seeing the barrel, I am not sure what you have, but I don't believe there were ever Douglas barrels in a Traditions or Jukar Kentucy rifle kit.  From your description, I am picturing a 2 piece stock, which you are juking or junking.  Ed Cain (Cain's Outdoors) and I cut off an Ed Rayl barrel and rebreeched it for my "left-handedness".  You just have to cut it off in front of the drum, square up the end and then rethread for a standard breechplug.  Fit the new plug and then you can, when ready drill for the touchhole liner or direct drill the vent or install a new drum.  In my case, I direct drilled the vent and I get great ignition.  I have had do this on more than one occasion.  I have a smoothbore pistol barrel on my bench now that I cut off and Ed re-breeched it, again due to me being left-handed.  Good luck and if you need someone to do it for you, Ed is your guy (304-375-7842).

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »
 Those guns don't have Douglas barrels, unless somebody rebarreled it. The drum threads through the breech plug, and does two right angle turns, making it a poor ignition system. This is  not an easy breech to replace either. This sounds like the classic silk purse project. After all your hard work, you will wind up with a marginal rifle, if you do it all right. Whats the point?

Hungry Horse

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »
OR SEND IT TO MR HOYT~he can do it, charges minimal, but you can get another straight barrel already done for just a tad more $$~
i did salvage a hatfield barrel, and added a lolipop tang....made a southern rifle, so i understand your wants~
marc

docone

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:44:45 AM »
I have heard from multiple sources to cut off the end and rethread.
Makes sense to me.
THis is the Breech I am looking at.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/663/1/PLUG-FH-14-5
I am still learning here. If it all goes south, just another lesson.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
Doc, I think I have hook breech or two out in the shop. I'll look in the morning, give me  call after 07:00
BTW, the boo is going strong & getting big!  :)
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:06 AM »
 yes if your going to do it , you will need to cut of the exsisting  breech threading and then re thread for the new breech .
as to the barrels and the quality , we just had a topic on this very subject earlier this year . you could probably find it with a search for "jukar barrel"
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29976.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29932.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19445.15
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:34:27 PM by Captchee »

docone

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
Hey Mark!
Long time, no hear from. Glad you are ok.
If you get near Howards, stop in. We got a shop there.
I would be interested in a breech. You sure did good on Jenne's.
Good hearing from you.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Doc!
Little change in plans for today, working an emergency compressor rebuild for a client now and have a guy from LA coming to pick-up a Mustang around 14:00 so I'll give you a call later.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.