Author Topic: Binding locks-problems and solutions  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Binding locks-problems and solutions
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Also, as an aside, if you can't set your lock off with just using your fingers try loosening the 2 screws that hold the insides of the lock together. My L&R Durs Egg was impossible to set off by just holding it and using finger pressure, then I backed off those 2 screws a bit and now I can set the lock off easily with my fingers. Those 2 screws were tightened down so much it was binding the lock up.

Whoa. A lock should not be run with internal screws loose.

If the lock binds with the bridal screws tight, then take metal off the tumbler, or off the inside of the bridal. If the sear binds when the screw is tight, then take some metal off the underside of the screwhead, or thin the sear bolster down, or make a new screw.

A lock operating with loose screws will wear out prematurely, and may lead to an unsafe condition.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »
I would make a screw to a specific dimension that can't bind the sear.I just finished 3 Hawken locks today and
all of them are like this.

Bob Roller

whetrock

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
Quick comment on the screw issue.
I want to comment here, before this turns into yet another lock company bashing session. I have in my stock a half dozen or so production locks that have this problem. These including some from the best production lock companies, and include several examples of locks of two different designs by Chambers.
As I see it, this is not a mistake on the part of the lock company. Rather, if there is a mistake to be noted it is in the mistaken assumptions of the customers. The Chambers locks I am talking about are outstanding, excellent craftsmanship, assembled correctly, and everything is square and with appropriate clearance, BUT still waiting for final polish and tuning. If a guy tries to just tighten down the screws without first tuning, polishing, relieving metal where necessary, then he will find that they bind.

The problem is there, but loosening the screws is not really a good solution. The better solution is to tune the lock.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:38:09 PM by Whetrock (PLB) »

jamesthomas

Re: Binding locks-problems and solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
 The screws are still tight and not loose at all and all the internals have no play in them at all. The screws were just dogged down so much it was binding everything up. A little bit of gun oil and everything works fine. I do not have the skills or tools to fine tune a lock.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:12:16 AM »
I read that to say that you found the screws tightened _beyond_ the torque required for them to do their jobs and that now they are "tight enough" for the diameter and threads.

"Fixin'" up the internals is part of the game for me, but i'm crazy like that.

Hold to the Wind

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:10 AM »
I read that to say that you found the screws tightened _beyond_ the torque required for them to do their jobs and that now they are "tight enough" for the diameter and threads.

"Fixin'" up the internals is part of the game for me, but i'm crazy like that.

Yes that's what I'm talking about, they were tightened down way beyond what they needed to be.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:07 AM »
Great, now we know the loose screws are only behind the keyboard.   ;)
Hold to the Wind