Author Topic: JJ Henry Build  (Read 3653 times)

Digger

JJ Henry Build
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
I am thinking about building a Lancaster Pattern Henry this winter. I would like some ideas on where to find the parts. It will be a 38" barrel in .58. A very similar buttplate is available from TOW, a lock closely resembling a L&R Late English/ Ashmore should do. I am mostly looking for stock, trigger guard and ramrod pipes. Patchbox I will copy with a blank kit. I know the barrels were very slightly swamped, but a straight 1" profile will have to do. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline okieboy

Re: JJ Henry Build
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
 Hi Digger. Do you already have Ryan Gale's book "For Trade and Treaty"? If not, then the Lancaster pattern J. J. Henry photos and dimensions in it would be invaluable to your build.
 I am gathering things for a full stock Leman and Track is just 25 or 30 miles from me. I picked up the investment cast Leman nose cap (which is made for a 1" barrel) and am happy with it; it looks like it might work for a Henry. I think that the cast Leman pipes are too short for a Henry.
 Are you building a single trigger gun? My build is double trigger and I have only found one source for a trigger guard and it only comes without the  finger spur at the back of the bow.
Okieboy

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:15:34 AM »
Remembering this post, I dug out my notes on a friend's Lancaster.  The barrel maintains a fairly-consistent measurement across the flats from breech to muzzle.  I wouldn't worry about using a straight barrel. 

Online Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
Check with Don Stith. A few years back he made some sets up for those. If you want an English or new English pattern, TRS has the parts. Dont buy a stock from them. On the guns i mention, Chambers late Ketland is a dead ringer with a little file work.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Digger

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I will contact Don. I do have Trade and Treaty. It will be what I use for dimensions. I will change to a 38 inch barrel though.  Single trigger for me. I found with proper setup and tuning I don't give up much in crispness to a double. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:13:53 AM by Digger »

mike blair

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
go to J.J.HENRY artificers.com.they seem to put a lot of work into making their rifles correct.