Author Topic: Multi-leaf rear sight  (Read 2643 times)

Offline sydney

Multi-leaf rear sight
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
Hi--I am installing a multi-leaf sight on a English sporting rifle
      The sight has no silver center lines
       Any ideas on how to put on a center line???
          Thanks    Sydney

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Multi-leaf rear sight
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »
Engrave your center line, heat,flux,tin with silver solder,dress it flush with sand paper.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
Sydney:  I have done a number of these, but with gold rather than silver.  Silver tarnishes and requires a good rub to bring up bright again, but that's not a serious issue.  Most of these old sights either had silver or platinum, rather than gold.

If you can remove the leaf, make a fine cut vertically in the centre with an engraver or a fine saw blade.  Undercut the edges carefully with a sharp needle punch...just a series of punches is all that is required.  Or use a graver to undercut the edges of the cut.  Lay your silver over the cut, and using a punch with a slightly domed polished head, and a light hammer, tap the nice soft metal down into the cut.  File it off, polish, and blue/brown. 

These vertical lines are wonderful for sight acquisition in failing light.  To be most effective those leaves should slope forward.  Often, the leaf itself is stippled to create a very matte surface.  That silver line shows light a florescent light tube.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sydney

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Thanks for the help
     Sydney

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
I think I used a small fine 3 corner file for the centre lines on my multi-leaf sight. I also used low temp silver solder which seemed to work just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V