Author Topic: Ebony nose cap tutorial anywhere?  (Read 2360 times)

magyar

Ebony nose cap tutorial anywhere?
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
Hey again all,

I had originally intended to do a poured pewter end cap on my rifle but after seeing a nice ebony-capped rifle this past week, I am intrigued. Any chance there is a tutorial on how to do this? I could not find one. Or any step-by-step tips would be appreciated.

thanks all.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Ebony nose cap tutorial anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
There is a horn nose cap tutorial. Use ebony instead of horn?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »
I am finishing a rifle that I made with an ebony nose cap, and I like the end result.  I got a block of ebony from wood crafters and cut a barrel grove to fit the swamped barrel I am  using, relief cut the inside of the cap similar to a cast nose cap the most folks use to do Lancaster rifles.  I inlet the block of ebony like I would do with a cast nose cap leaving a tight fitting slip joint between the nose cap material and the stock.  The next step was to use Brownell's bedding compound in the slip joint area to bond the ebony to the gun stock.  From that point on,  I just shaped the ebony along with the stock blank to the profile I wanted in the nose cap area.  I liked the finished product.  However, I can tell you that the ebony I used seemed brittle when compared to the wood I used for the stock blank.  I cut the barrel grove in the ebony with care not to chip any of the edges when doing the final fit of the cap to the barrel.
                                                                                                       Roger

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:21:46 AM »
Midway has a video of fitting an ebony nosecap to a modern rifle under their tech tips section.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson