Author Topic: Magnification for carving and engraving  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Magnification for carving and engraving
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:58:06 AM »
Well, I have been struggling with a couple of headband type magnifying glasses. So I was whining to an MD friend of mine & he said, hey get a surgeon's loupe.

So, while in the dentists chair this week he was putting on a loupe with a light and I told him what mu MD friend said. So he says "hey I have two or three old ones in a drawer around here. Lets see if they will work"  So he got a pair out. Like a pair of glasses with flip dowm binoculars that line up with your etes and have a light in the middle. This pai is 2X magnification but you can get muh stronger.  The nie thing is that the depth of field of focus is long and they are designe to hold your work about 18" in front of your eyes.

They are fantastic...and he gave them to me!!  Like These:

http://www.universalmedicalinc.com/25x-magnification-flip-up-style-loupes/detail/250GAL_2500
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Magnification for carving and engraving
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »
Tim, if you like'm you're going to use them a lot. I'm a dentist and I have a first rate set much like you pictured in3X with a 14" distance to target. It cost me over $1000.  For most dental work I just use reading glasses, with the 3X magnification for really fine work.

For gun work, I just use ,and like , a cheap headband thing from Brownell's.  It's probably 2X. 

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
Word of caution...
I purchased some no-name ones via the internet, a couple of years ago for approx. $400.00 or so.  After a couple of days of fiddling with them I sent them back.  As hard as I tried, I just couldn't get any decent setup.  The magnification was there but trying to get the resolution right was like trying to adjust a cheap pair of binoculars.
There are lots of them out there for several hundred bucks, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you can try them out first.
I suspect you'll have to pay more like what Bill is talking about to get useable quality.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

famouseagle

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
Makes you really appreciate the old guys who had  none of that stuff - not even electric lighting.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
Perhaps that helps explain some of the old makers shortlived window of work.  I can't remember specific names, but I've heard others site specific makers whose body of work includes great examples with early traits along with pretty mediocre ones, which would appear to have later traits than the very fine ones.  Also, there are examples of tax roles listing individuals as "Smith" or "Gunsmith" early in there life, that change to "Farmers", "Merchants" or others later on.
I know of very few people who don't start using reading glasses shortly after hitting 40.  I'm guessing spectacles were a little scarce in some of the places the old gunsmiths were practicing their trade.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:11:44 PM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
I have no idea what these cost, but, this dentist has the most up-to-date, paperless office I have ever seen! He is currently using battery powered light on 3.5X for his dentistry.  I like these a whole lot better than the headband Optivisors that I have particularly be cause the distance to target is so much further away from my face!!  It really helps my neck and shoulders!!

I think I better take him a real nice bottle of wine!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:13:19 AM »
Bill, while we're at it, I have this tooth that's a little sensitive, would you be able to take a look at it at the 18th Century Show?  :o
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:00:01 AM »
Acer, sure, we'll set up shop under you're table.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
Bill, remember to share the Manhattans with the patient
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Marty

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:15:12 PM »
Drtimboone

You really got a great gift! I talked to my wife who used to be a dental assistant and she said they run from $800 to several thousand.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »
Wow I gotta talk to my Dr.  All I've been able to get is used dental picks!
I use an Opti-Visor, and would have to quit building without it. Wouldn't mind trying something better though.
Tom C.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
Acer,  It's an 18th C show.  Manhattans may be the only anesthetic...
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »
Bill, it may not hurt so much now. If my tooth acts up at the show, I have something I can trade for your precision work. Well, I assume your dentistry is as good as your guns.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

WV mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »
I bought a cheap pair from sportsman guide that has a lite and comes with 1.2x, 1.8x, 2.5x, and3.5x for $19.95 and I have had no complaints about them yet. I used them on this A. Verner rifle I just finished and they worked great!!!!!!!!!!

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »
Opti-visor is great to a point but have too-short of a focus distance for some work.  I picked up a pair of wire-frame generic 4x reading glasses on sale at Winn Dixie for $10, normally $20, focus distance is around 18", quite handy and you can't beat 'em for the price.  Another handy item is a 5" 5x magnifying glass attached to a base-mounted flex shaft, set the glass for focus and hold your head where it's comfortable, no flipping up & down or playing bobblehead when you're reaching for different tools/parts. 
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.