Author Topic: Recycling parts  (Read 5638 times)

northmn

Recycling parts
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
I am looking at my old battle scarred 40 and thinking about scrapping it out for parts.  Its totally a personal decision I know, but I really do not think it has enough sale value to make it worth getting all new parts to build another one.  The wrist was broken and repaired twice as the first repair did not want to hold.  It was one of the last guns I made when I got burnt out a few years ago and shows it.  Proportions and lines are there but still not up to my better builds.  Lock is a real good one, DST is a miserable single throw where you have to set the trigger to cock the rifle (I really hate them) and to be frank, while the 40 is OK, I have little use for one as I do not target shoot that much.  Would prefer a 45 if I did and prefer a smaller bore for squirrel hunting.  Likely would buy a new barrel.  Been thinking about this for some time.  On the up side its nice to have a beater that you can use in the woods without worrying about scratching.  Thinking out loud is all.

DP

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Recycling parts
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
Well, my thought is if you don't like a "40" their is no sense in rebuilding this rifle into another "40". Go .45, .50, or bigger if you want to hunt deer size game with it. Build a .32 or .36 for rabbits or squirrel --- just my two cents :-\ :-\!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »
It might be fun to re-stock it in an entirely different style; something you'd like to try but is a stretch or new experience.  This might change your outlook entirely.  Might only need a guard and buttplate to pull it off.
Andover, Vermont

northmn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:49 AM »
It might be fun to re-stock it in an entirely different style; something you'd like to try but is a stretch or new experience.  This might change your outlook entirely.  Might only need a guard and buttplate to pull it off.

Good idea.  One thing about Ml building, there are always new worlds to conquer.  Never went the curved Allentown guns.

DP

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »
I scrapped the stock on my first build and built the parts into a different style.  Both were Germanic so i could use all the parts.  I did put the set triggers in a drawer and went with a primitive trigger.  My first gun had all the problems associated with a first build without sufficient instruction and advise.  I wouldn't have taken it anyway. I gave the stock to my son to play with.  The second gun with the parts was mucho better and I even sold it after playing with it for a some years.  Go for it.  You may get a lot of new pleasure from it.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Rich

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »
I would go for it. I'm going to do the same with a .50 I have. My second build. I not only do not like the rifle for myself, I don't want it to exist with my name on it. I plan on making the stock into a try-stock.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
I have "recycled" my first two or three guns because they weren't good enough to keep around. Most of the parts have found their way into other guns by now, and I used the stocks for carving practice, then they went into the fireplace.

Dale H

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
my first gun got recycled into transitional rifle i sold to my stepfather....the idea of using the parts to build a different school is good.buttplate and t.quard will get you there and get a nice blank of maple.be sure to keep us posted with pics as you progress..

northmn

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
This project is second or third to a couple I have going now.  It does make a good "practice"  gun for a few things.  My skills are a little rusty and I need to take things slow for a bit.   Currently I am looking at an English inspired 58 for deer hunting.  Barrel inletting is a b---h.  My problem is that as I get things together for future projects for when I finish one I tend to purchase a lot of things that do not get used as I change my mind.  I have a couple of buttplates and triggerguards because of that.  A set of DST's I may or may not use and so forth.  I like to get focused on the next project and gradually build parts up while doing another.  Sometimes I work on two or three concurrently as sometimes it helps to put one down and come back to it.  I hot the limit on my budget for a while. 

DP

Bob Mac

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »
Glad to see I'm not alone. I was never satisfied with my first build, so now I'm in the process of recycling the barrel and lock into a new piece of maple. Got the barrel inletted and starting on the ramrod groove. Looking ahead, how are you guys planning to handle the existing lock bolt holes in your lock?Are you going to try to use them, or are you going to plug them somehow? If plugging them, how?
Bob

northmn

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
For the bolster you can use the same one as a rule.  As for the front, if you can line it up it can be used.  Use a nail to make a punch that fits in the threads to mark.  I always ddrill from the lock side anyway.  You can plug with a scew also.  slightly counter sink both side and rivit in a screw.  You can then redrill.  I would rather not tell you how I happen to know this will work or how many times I have done so.

DP

Bob Mac

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:21 AM »
Thanks. That was the way I was leaning but it's nice to have some reassurance.
Bob