Author Topic: Permalyn Sealer as finish  (Read 10053 times)

Offline draken

Permalyn Sealer as finish
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
Has anyone ever used Permalyn Sealer as a finish?  If it is as durable as Laurel Mountain claims, it seems as if it could serve as both sealer and finish.   The one disadvantage might be the glossy finish, but light steel-wooling ought to reduce the shine.

I ask because recently I had just applied the stuff to a stock,liberaly las per the directions when a problem arose that prevented me from wiping off the excess that didn't soak in.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Permalyn Sealer as finish
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
I was told some time ago, that it is the same stuff as the "finish" , only thinner.  I used it on a rifle about 12 years ago, and it still looks good after all those hunting seasons.

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Be absolutely positive that you have achieved the color you want on the stock before you use it as a finish.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:05:41 AM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
I don't think you should have any problem with the Permalyn you weren't able to wipe off...

I use Permalyn sealer as a finish on most all of the guns I build.  If you do a search, look for the information supplied by Bill Shipman, it's very helpful. 

I really like the stuff.  It's very simple to use, dries easily, and has excellent durability.  After a few coats I always rub it out with paraffin oil and rotten stone.  Obviously, it's a modern finish, so if you're interested in using something more "historically accurate", it probably isn't the best choice.  However, once it's rubbed back, I think it very closely replicates varnish finishes that you would have seen "in the day".  I'd be interested in seeing the finished piece...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »
I agree Ed.  I don't use it much anymore, but have in the past.  Some feel they can identify modern materials such as Permalyn on a finished gun.  It would be fun to have a handful of guns finished differently and see if this is the case.  It's a bullet proof finish for sure.  I've only just used the sealer as a finish in the past. 

Jim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:03 AM »
For general Permalyn information this thread has most all:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14917.15
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:16:54 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »
I have used the sealer as the only finish on several guns.  I plan on using it for my next one as well.

I wet sand it with 1,000 grit sand paper for around 10 coats, wipe off the excess after 10-15 mn.  This produces a finish that is not a big build up and it is not glossy.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
All my builds have 2-3 wipe on/wipe off coats of LMF sealer. After the last coat is completely dry, a hard rub w/ 0000 steel wool removes any LMF on the surface.  The time that LMF is left on is critical but usually around 10 mins.

After the 0000 steel wool, a  vacuuming and then 2-3 coats of Wahkon Bay Trucoat applied sparsely w/ the fingers w/ a complete dry between coats. The final finsih is dull and it takes a brisk rubbing w/ a fluffy towel to yield a satin finish.

The LRs pictured below have the above finish.....Fred

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:53:50 PM by flehto »

Offline horseman

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:37 AM »
Another question tied to this topic.  Will bronze wool work as well as steel?  The Ace in town has it and I thought that I might give it a try.  That is if it will the job.  Thanks for any replies.