Author Topic: Question about Jaeger slings  (Read 1994 times)

Hemo

Question about Jaeger slings
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
I've got an original early to mid 18th century Jaeger I'm restoring. It has original holes drilled through the forestock and the front of the triggerguard for sling swivels, but also has the big screw button on the lower butt to attach a sling in buttonhole fashion. I'm not sure why it should have two different mechanisms to attach the rear end of a sling. It's possible that the triggerguard was re-used from an another gun and already was drilled for a sling swivel, but I'm curious as to how slings in this period were actually attached, and also the materials used for slings. I've seen pictures of both leather straps and fabric slings, or a combination of both, but haven't been able to find any info about the usual methods of constructing or attaching these in  HC fashion. Can anyone help?

Hemo

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: Question about Jaeger slings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »
From what ive gatherd military firearms had mostly leather slings,Civilian weapons had leather,woven, even a combination of leather and woven. I think civilian wise most used what was readily available. as for attaching slings Most Jaeger Rifles used a Swivel and Button that I have seen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:03:13 PM by Virginiarifleman »