Author Topic: 1St rifle build completed  (Read 4029 times)

Jerry Daugherty

1St rifle build completed
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi all. My name is Wayne, I've been lurking here for a few years now. I used to be into primitive muzzle loading and belonged to a group called the Kentucky Free Trappers, and went by the name Wounded Knee. I started out with a Lyman Great Plains rifle that I refinished and browned all the steel parts. It was a good rifle and shot well.
   After about five years of this I kind of got sidetracked with other interests and have been out of the hobby for about 18 years. A few years back I did a job for a local gentleman (Stuart B) who had a beautiful longrifle that he had built hanging over his door. That resparked my interest in muzzle loading and after talking with him I ordered an early Lancster kit from Jim Chambers. I finally finished building my first rifle kit.
  I want to send out a thank you to Stuart B and this forum for all the help and kind words.

Going to CLA show this weekend to get some supplies for my next build.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:41:01 PM by Jerry Daugherty »

Offline PPatch

Re: 1St rifle build completed
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
Very nice! Nice fit and finish, relief carving looks well done, nice curl in that stock.

Welcome to ALR.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Stuartg

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
Looks great!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
Looking good. I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

jamesthomas

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
 Nice looking rifle! what caliber is it and whose barrel did you use?. 

Jerry Daugherty

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »
It is a44" Rice swamped .050 B weight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:50:56 AM by Jerry Daugherty »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:30:54 AM »
Welcome back to our world. I think you will like it here and looks like you did a nice job on that rifle.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
By way of a helping note...the curls in your carving are a little out of round. I too have trouble getting those to be a perfect spiral, but here's what I do as a check. I go back and view the curves for consistency (or if you prefer the lack of short straight runs). I use a template against the curve too dble check my work and will pencil in those areas needing a tweak. I then carefully cut the straight area to blend with the flowing of the curve. (I am not talented enough to cut these in with a well motioned sweep, regardless of how well my lines are drawn...something to do with tri-focals and some unruly fingers...but I am committed and tenacious!)
Sometimes a careful light sanding and/or scraping with a flexible nail emery board or a small scraper is all that is needed.

Make sure too when cutting the relief to do so in a smooth flow. Sometimes the positioning of the rifle in the vise cradle whatever can be too restrictive, so smaller shorter cuts may be in order versus trying to cut farther than your arm or body can twist.

Lastly make absolutely certain your cutting tools are razor sharp. Go slow and deliberate. I hope this is helpful.

Congratulations your efforts have produced a beautiful firearm.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

kaintuck

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Jerry,
Nice job!!! ;D
I think you did good, when you want the patch box and side plate engraved, mail them off to Tim adlam......he has a web site with phone number and address.......he'll make a nice rifle, into a great rifle!

Congrats!
Marc n tomtom