Author Topic: Lefty Jaeger Build  (Read 3598 times)

Stuartg

Lefty Jaeger Build
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:46:07 AM »
As many of you know I'm wrong-handed, and throwing around some build ideas. I've always been really attracted to the Jaeger style rifles, but of course being a lefty, parts may be an issue. Here's where my thoughts are:

Barrel - no problem

Stock - Knob Mountain has a left pattern available

Lock - here's my problem. I've only seen "Jaeger" locks in right hand. So I could go with a standard large Siler, right? However, I've also seen Jaegers with almost a fowler looking lock, similar to a Queen Anne style or something. I have found a lefty Queen Anne style from L&R...would this be too ridiculous? What would be the best option? Whatcha think?

Offline rtadams

Re: Lefty Jaeger Build
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:19:24 AM »
8-22-14

Stuartg,

I have a 62 cal x 31 long Jaeger Rifle barrel that you may be interested in for your project. If interested contact me to discuss your exact requirements for a barrel.

Stuartg

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:32 AM »
Rtadams, Pm sent

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
I have the same project in the planing stage.  I bought a Rice jeager barrel, caliber 62. and a beautiful English walnut stock blank from Goby Walnut. It will be a few years before I attempt this project. I need to learn lot of skills first. One of them is lock making. There are no lefthanded banana shaped locks on the market. Chamber's gunmakers lock is not suitable for this type of lock. The tumbler hole needs to be lower in relation to the frezzen. I made these two banana shaped bridelless pistol locks using the guts, hammer, pan and frissen from a small siler lock and making a new lockplate. I've test fired the locks with powder and they work fine.

To lower the tumbler hole, use a compass to measure the distance from the middle of the tumbler hole to the frizzen screw. Place one compass leg on the frissen screw and draw an arc on the lock plate. The center of the new tumbler hole has to lay on this arc. Lowering the tumbler hole will require adjusting the, frissen toe, cock shoulder, mainspring hook(that rests on the tumbler) and the tumbler beak(where the mainspring touches the tumbler). It's surprising how far it's possible to lower the tumbler hole without messing up the locks function.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:37:49 PM by Rolf »

Stuartg

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
It's interesting that you bring this up Rolf. I thought I found my solution when looking on Jim Chambers website last night. He has a left handed assembled lock with an oversized, square lock plate. I was just going to buy that, trace the shape from a template and start shaping it. Guess I need to rethink that...hmmm. Your locks look great, btw.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
 Ron Scott is a top builder and ha is also left handed. He specializes in Jaeger rifles. If you can contact him I am sure he can solve your problems. J.H.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Stuartg

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
Thanks, Jerry! I just sent him an email from his website.