Author Topic: Shooting today- a Bit Inclement but ffffun  (Read 10172 times)

Daryl

Shooting today- a Bit Inclement but ffffun
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »
Blowing, snowing, blizzardly, but in the bush, the conditions were just great for 5 of us today with 2 spectators braving the conditions.  Snow was a bit deep in places, good thing I packed it down 2 weeks ago with my snowshoes.  Brad is at the flying goose station, a skimmer today, as he barely cleared the snow.  You can see the cable in the foreground. About a 40 yard shot.  The young lady with us, Kelly who is holding my rifle for the picture, waded through the snow off the packed trail and over her waist in the white stuff to retrieve the rope which 'runs' the flyinggoose.  Brad got it with his .54 Hawken as well as I with the little .40 - not sure about Crispy -- probably.  It was so dark in the tighter Spruce trees along the earlier trail, I couldn't see the powder flowing into my measure from the horn. My horn ran dry after only about 35 shots, when it should have gone for 45 to 50.  Fun was had by all, in spite of Mother Nature.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:39:37 AM by Daryl »

Leatherbelly

Re: Shooting Toady- a Bit Inclement but ffffun
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:32:20 AM »
  Who the heck is Toady? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:55:11 AM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

Re: Shooting today- a Bit Inclement but ffffun
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:41:02 AM »
 - Hey, weather too much for you today - or you ran out of .400" balls?  :-*
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:33:23 AM by Daryl »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:41 AM »
  Outta balls,Today. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Re: Shooting Today :D :D :D :D- a Bit Inclement but ffffun
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:29:40 AM by Daryl »

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:14 AM »
Daryl... wow. whats all that white stuff on the ground? dont that suffocate the fresh green grass that sprouts up this time of year? I took my family out on a picnic lunch today. we spread a blanket out on the new grass, and relaxed in the sun as our dog tried to steal our food.
 :o :o

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:06:25 AM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

crispy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »
perhaps a name change is in order !!!!!LB >>>>>>>>>NO BALLS

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:40:27 AM »
perhaps.No place to cast in winter.My shack has no exhaust fan. Got lotsa lead tho! Another 25 lb. of pure today! Can a guy buy .395's anywhere? I'm missing out on some fine weather!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »
Sorry I missed it Daryl...sure was a fine day for a trail walk.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »
perhaps.No place to cast in winter.My shack has no exhaust fan. Got lotsa lead tho! Another 25 lb. of pure today! Can a guy buy .395's anywhere? I'm missing out on some fine weather!

LB,

TOW has them. 

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ejxu4hzbzqq1ur55zvts5rb1))/categories/tableList.aspx?catId=2&subId=25&styleId=58&PageSize=25&Page=1

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Mike R

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
FUN?  [How come the biggest guy has the shortest rifle?  :)]  I guess I am getting soft after all these years down heah in Dixie, but all that snow does not look like the fun it was when I was a child in Pennsylvania....I remember one winter day in Okieland when the firing pins in my double shotgun froze and I could not shoot the first covey rise of quail--had to thaw it out with the pickup truck heater.  This past weekend here I hunted wearing only a light overshirt over my clothes.  Had to bat at mosquitos...

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
LB - I suppose I could seel you some more .400" = hahahahahahaha!  I don't have an exhaust fan yet in the shop, either.  I just open the basement door - works for me.  In the kitchen, a window would work - it's quite mild now. I guess I could 'loan' you a couple hundred .395's. If you don't plan on replacing them- then they're 5 pounds of pure lead per hundred.  I only have a single cavity mould and hate casting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:33:08 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
FUN?  [How come the biggest guy has the shortest rifle?  :)

Rick's a big guy to start with and about 6 foot eighteen tall - shoots that tiny little flinter - amazing.  That's his wife holding my .40 squirrel rifle - I think she's about 5'4" or so.  Best deal was he was having terrible hangfires then realized he'd filled his priming horn with Pyrodex Pistol powder - hahahahahahaha!  Talk about fuses - think he was getting about a 1 1/2 second fuse.  His shooting improved considerably once he started using 3F for prime.

Got another foot of snow last night. Soon as it's light - 7:40 here and Dawnning - I'll get the snow blower out - AGAIN!  I think I'm using moregas in the blower than in my truck these days.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:41:17 AM »
 {Quote}    If you don't plan on replacing them- then they're 5 pounds of pure lead per hundred.  I only have a single cavity mould and hate casting.

If you plan on casting, please use my mold. It trims the sprue real close. Might even take a little off! LOL!!  How's fourteen pounds for 400 balls?..and a first draft pick? Call.  (mould is a KAL Tool and Die, out of Winipeg) Oh, my ingots are roughly 7 pounds.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:10 AM »
  Holy Smokes Daryls!
   I just noted that you've become a Global Moderator and a Hero Member to boot! What does all this signify? Global?...Moderator?  Zat sumthin to do with ...weather?? Hope you don't mind me taking up bandwidth on your thread? LOL. Sorry, Daryls. Somedays I feel like going to a roast! grrrr... hard day at the office!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:34:39 AM »
Man ..... I was even in town when all this was going down - but I had to work and couldn't go!  Drat!  Why dow making a living always have to get in the way of what life is really all about?
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
Don' t know, Brian - never got in my way- course, I've never made the big bucks you are.  The Lord says you have to make time to play - well, don't know if HE said it, but someone important to me did. - Might have been my own conscience - ;D

LB - got 400 cast right now.  14 pounds of pure lead would do just fine. Only use your mould if it is a DC - if so, OK.  I think I can squeeze it in to my busy schedule.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
  Drats! It's a single. Oh  well.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
I'd still like to have a look at it.

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 04:32:42 AM »
LB just picked up 400 .395 X ,395's from my Lyman mould and about 60 oblong .390" x .394" that I cast from his mould. No excuses for a LOT of Sundays now.

Hey LB - I corrected the spelling mistakes in your earlier posts. ;D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
Re: Shooting Toady- a Bit Inclement but ffffun

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 05:19:37 PM »
   Hey Daryls,( and Crispy)...Sunday,15 Feb.
     You missed a beautitful day yesterday. At noon it warmed up to a balmy -10c, no wind, sunny. Changing light in the woods made for some interesting shooting.  Hatchet Jack and I shot 55-60 shots. The little .40 shot flawlessly. Not one missfire. The wingnut behind the buttplate needed some adjustment,LOL, but once that was done, I only missed six shots over the day.
  Tried a new patch lube concoction of my own making and it worked superbly,btw. Cleanup at home was a breeze. Just thought I'd let you now.
BTW,no wiping between shots-all day. Accuracy excellent first shot thru 60 shots.One shot fowling build-up,patch lube cleaned after each shot.
.395 RB,.022patch,50grs. 2f goex,homemade lube
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:47:53 PM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
I make nice balls, eh! ;D  going out after seeing the Dentis today- Monday it is.  Gonna cast up some balls for the 'new' .58 Musketoon. I borrowed a .575" 4-cavity Shilo mould - lead should be melted any time now. Gotta file off the the front sight, slit the sight boss and solder in a higher blade - maybe open up the rear sight just a bit.  Maybe just throw it into the corner and forget about it.  Neil used one on a trail last fall - looked like fun- short stubby barrel - no good for a ski-pole like the .45 is. ::)

crispy

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
Daryl missed you at trail today it was nasty cold but great sunshine . Had my lyman 50 out and ignition was great , I put a 5/16 Chambers vent in it last night , something I should have done 3 years ago.

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »
Was going to go - by the time I got out of the Dentists office at 1:00, had to go home to pack gear - I said forget it, or something to that effect.  Was feeling a bit too cold for shooting with a cold. Not over it yet.

I did get some .575" RB's cast up for the new rifle, though.  Balls weigh 289.2gr. to .291.2 - not bad for 4 cavities. Only had one at the Dentist. Don't know what it weighed.