Author Topic: Replacement lock  (Read 4878 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Replacement lock
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
What would be a good lock choice to replace an old Russ Hamm lock. The lock plate is a little larger than a small Siler plate but similar in overall. The solution we've come up with is to send the lock L&R and see if they would suggest a replacement.

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: Replacement lock
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
Micah, I had a rifle years ago that had a lock change. the gunsmith actually made a brass insert to fill the gap from the larger lock to the smaller lock.looked great and worked fine.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
would chambers gunbuilder's lock work.  shape the lock plate the same as the hamm
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »
TOW has pictured an L&R replacement for the Russ Hamm Maslin and similar locks.

Bob Roller

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the brass insert, but that'll work if I can't find a lock that fits.

I thought about the Chambers builders lock, but I think the internals are much to large.

Bob Roller, I was looking a the L&R replacement locks as an option. I didn't notice that one was a replacement for Russ Hamm. Good Catch.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
Here is the REST of the story.

We checked all the available locks and it seemed to me the important dimension is the pan to the sear bar, since I am replacing an old lock and these dimensions are pretty much set. The lock we decided on was Chambers Small Siler. It's almost a perfect fit except for the plate dimensions. So after much consideration here's what I'm going to do.

The stock being maple with some spaulting became part of the solution. The inside of the of the lock mortise and edges is very discolored and stained, the rifle is about 50 years old by our calculations. We've already replaced the barrel recently the original was badly pitted but he didn't know that. After the new barrel he was still getting numerous misfires because of the loosey goosey worn out Russ Hamm lock. Sometimes it sparked well sometimes not. The frizzes wobbled and the flint sat against the frizzen at half cock and the springs were weak. It had seen better days.

I've decided to plane off the lock panel down to the level of the old lock plate and replace that wood with some closely matching curly maple. Then re-inlet the new lock, stain and finish to match the rifle. I figured any glue seam line that may/will show should be camouflaged by the spaulting lines. 

He's going to have the Oldest new rifle on the block or is it Newest old rifle. ;D

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
If its the Hamm lock that looks pretty much like a Siler, I recently replaced one with a Chambers late Ketland. It completely covered the old mortice. I just had to enlarge the mortice slightly around the tail. It even looked good in the panels.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
Nate, the late Ketland was on the table as an option. But the distance from the pan to the sear bar was about 1/4" too long. The old Russ Hamm lock is somewhat small.