Author Topic: engineering dilemma  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

engineering dilemma
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:25:43 AM »
 I am assembling this TOW southern mountain kit .It has a 13/16  .45 cal barrel and I placed the lock plate in it precarved mortice and the barrel is sitting in the precut channel all the way, took my 1/2 inch dia. transfew punch and found the center for the 1/2 drum. My problem is that the center punched dimple is up 17/64's from the bottom of the flat and the flat is only 11/32's wide . Can I cut the plate some to lower the drum and put a notch in the drum to lower it some more ? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.  Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi. :(

Bioprof

Re: engineering dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:55:21 AM »
I think that cutting down the plate to fit the drum is normal operating procedure.  Some locks come with lock plates that don't even have a cut out, you have to cut it to fit.  It's important that you have a good fit between the lock plate and the drum to support the drum.    Otherwise the drum could break off from the force of the hammer.

I'm probably one of the least qualified to give out advice though.    Others should probably chime in too.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
I would build it with a patent breech. But I don't make drum and nipple guns anymore so I ma predjudice.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
Eric, you must have called me last night after posting here. I see Bioprof gave you the same advise I did.
Try to get your drum in the center of the flat and file out the lockplate. That's normal procedure. Get a drum that's not pre-drilled for the nipple and install that. I have a jig for installing the nipple - you can borrow.
You will likely have to bend the hammer when you are done for good alignment with the nipple.

Are you building this capgun for you or someone else?
Good luck buddy!
Tom C.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
Eric,

If you'd stop building these darn cap guns, you wouldn't have this problem.  They're just a passing fad, they'll never last.

Sorry, couldn't help that.

Follow the instructions already given.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.Dane while putting that cap gun together I am wearing a paper bag over my head so no body will know it is me with a cussin gun.LOL . Took care of the problem milled some stock off the plate and turned the O.D. of the drum down to 7/16's put the drum almost on centerline of the flat, I would rather start with a blank chunk of wood and go from there.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Eric,

I like the visual..... "The unknown gunmaker"...... 

I had a breakdown a year or so ago as well.  I let someone talk me into a percussion gun.  However, I did limit my embarrassment......  Told the customer I would only do it as using a conversion lock.  (drum mounted inside a sawed off pan. 
A guy's gotta save face some where...... or get a bag!! ;D
In His grip,

Dane