Author Topic: Butt plate inlet  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Randall Steffy

Butt plate inlet
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:08:20 AM »
Based on the different approaches I have seen taken in fitting the butt plate to the stock, may I ask a question? Did the 18th century builders typically have crown in the wood beneath the plate and return which would better lock the plate in place and offer some support or was the plate fit against a saw cut? Just asking, as I have done this both ways but prefer HC. Is fitting the wood more thoroughly to the butt plate solely perfectionism or supported by extant examples? I recognize that the butt plate return or extension may require special inletting for some schools but many could be set against a saw cut with minor trimming with a chisel.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Butt plate inlet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:51 AM »
I don't know what the PC/HC answer is.

But if I had sawed a perfect contour for the plate to sit, and there were no gaps atall, I'd screw it in place and be done.

But the fact is, I never saw a perfect fit, so as I inlet the plate, I end up with a dome-ish effect in some areas of the inlet.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Butt plate inlet
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:08 AM »
On a few that I've taken apart, both European and American, I've seen saw or rasp marks to indicate a flush cut, and then chisel marks for inletting another 1/16" of an inch or so deeper.  This leads to a bit of a convex surface, but I've never seen one that had contact the whole way across the buttplate. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com