Author Topic: cut barrel or get it swamped  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
cut barrel or get it swamped
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:02 AM »
Hi guys
I purchased a 15/16 barrel a few years ago. Its 36 inches long. When I lay it in the stock that I had also bought, Its way too heavy at the muzzle. Its a project that I am just getting around to. Actually I had started a while back ,but ran in to this problem. My question is  should I have it shortened to say 32 inches or so. Or should I or even could I get it swamped this late in the game. I got everything together before I really knew enough about building. The barrel is .36 caliber. I also thought about pouring lead in the butt .
Your answers will be most welcome.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: cut barrel or get it swamped
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:43 AM »
 IMO, 15/16X36" in .36 cal. is going to be heavy no matter what. 36 inch barrels are going to look pretty odd if swamped. I would suggest either a straight taper, or OTR profiling . either way it is going to be expensive to have done at this late date. I'd sell the barrel, and get one that isn't so heavy.

Hungry Horse

coutios

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:49 AM »
  Hard to tell from your question..  Is the barrel in the wood???  If it is  see if you can swap it for a larger cal..  If not in the wood a taper works, or both a taper and larger caliber..

Regards
Dave

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:11:03 AM »
chunky monkey!

But then a lot of the originals i've handled aren't as svelte as we make these here replications.

How much do you like draw-filing?  How many files you got?  ::)

I'd be checking with a bbl maker for a re-contour or re-bore (if let in already) OR selling the beast and starting over.  but i don't know much.

Well, after looking at specs (because i mostly only think of bbls being swamped) I'd have that sucker re-bored to 45 or bigger.  That'll fix your weight.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:16:12 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:16 AM »
Aawww.....go ahead with it the way it is.....it may not be as heavy as you think...
Marc n tomtom

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:33:43 AM »
My first build was based on an original a distant relative had. It had a very heavy 40 plus inch barrel with only the slightest taper and flare. Only about .40. I built it from this design only went with a larger .50 caliber straight 42 inch 15/16" barrel. It is very muzzle heavy but I still shoot better scores with it than any of my other rifles. That 36 would be a feather weight. I wouldn't make a carbine out of it. Short longrifle doesn't sound right.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:50:26 AM »
If you swamp the barrel, it will be loose in its inlet.

At 36", it can be a decent carry weight, plus hold on target very well when shooting offhand.

If it's the weight you object to, then you will need to swamp it(very laborious or expensive) or sell the one you have and buy a swamped profile you like. Then you need a new stock.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

galamb

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:07:53 AM »
Build the rifle and add some lead to the butt end - bore some holes under the butt plate and pour in some lead.

Yes, it's going to make the rifle "heavier", but unless you went radical on a re-profile of the barrel it was always going to be heavy.

Would make a pretty steady "varmint" gun - just wouldn't want to carry it very far...

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for replying. I guess I will go on with it like it is since it will cost me alot more money from getting it profiled and then I would need another stock also. This is a prime example of what not to do. My only excuse is ignorance and just jumping in hog wild without really thinking first. Luckily,all I have to walk is out my back door about 50 to 75 yards and Im in squirrel heaven! I betcha I will get all my ducks in a row before ordering parts for my next un.

Again, thanks guys,

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
Well good....I have a 50cal straight TVM rifle with GM barrel.....42".....she's just fine. And I'm making a 40cal barrens rifle with burton 7/8" straight barrel.....seems to be nice so far.....I think you'll find it's a lot of fuss over a few OZ of weight........good trigger pull is more important in my book than a barrel weight issue.......
Just remember to "wrap the barrel" in wood......make that forestock 1/16" around the barrels sides ;D

It'll be fine.....
Marc n tomtom

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
Have the barrel bored to 54 Cal, Build the Rifle. Sell it and Build you a nice slim 36 Cal. there ya are topknot Problem Solved LOL.